Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Like a meteor, eject a dazzling train of fire from your....

The WiZard is In - 25-4-2010 at 07:14

ETHEREL, PYROTECHNICS.
The Cincinnati journal of medicine

{I have inverted the paragraphs./djh/}

"[This reminds us of a case which occurred a few years since in Kentucky, and which
was described to us by the practitioner in attendance. A patient was suffering
severely from colic and intestinal obstruction. Ordinary remedies proving of no
avail the practitioner administered an enema, which contained sulphuric ether.
Feeling that he was about to have an evacuation, and there being no other
convenience at hand, the patient rushed for the stone hearth in front of an old
fashioned fire place, in which a huge fire was blazing. An enormous discharge of
wind was the first to escape, and from the patient's proximity to the fire a
pyrotechnic display resulted, which utterly astounded both physician and patient,
the hasty retreat of the latter across the room, leaving, like a meteor, a dazzling train
behind! Like the case above related, "the patient felt none the worse for it; in fact
better," and of his colic he was entirely relieved.]"

A correspondent of the London Lancet, October 27, relates the following: "A
gentleman calling to have a tooth extracted, I proceeded in the usual way. Having
applied a small piece of cotton-wadding over the tongue, with the view of
protecting it from the fluid which I was about to direct upon the upper jaw, I
commenced business. I should say that in every preceding instance I have used a
candle, to throw a better light into the mouth. This is held by the assistant not
nearer than half a yard from the seat of operation. In this case it was done also. And
now comes the terrible scene. I had scarcely used the ether (pure rectified) for
twenty seconds when suddenly a volume of flame rushed from the patient's mouth,
enveloping the three of us for a single instant. It was so soon over that the patient
had not time to rise from his seat, and the assistant and myself remained in our
former positions. There was no explosion ; all was quiet. After regarding each other
for a few moments, I ventured to inquire of the patient how he felt. I was happy to
see a smile, rather ghastly nevertheless, illumine his pale countenance; but his only
answer was, " What a wonderful occurrence ! " There was no smell of scorching; the
only injury sustained being a slight singeing of the more prominent hairs of his
moustache. The assistant and myself were untouched. This was certainly an
unexpected and terrible occurrence, though fortunately unattended by any
untoward result The patient's complexion was of a healthv, ruddy color on sitting
down for operation; but this soon gave place to a ghostlike pallor; and when I
beheld the flames gushing forth from the month, I almost believed it was a veritable
fire-demon sitting before me. He certainly did not look ethereal. The only
unpleasant feeling he experienced was a sense of constriction round his neck. He is
nothing the worse for it; n fact, better, as he has not felt a twinge of toothache since.
"Now, sir, cases like these are not to be made light of. The cause of the mischief
might be attributed to the candle. If so, then why did the same effects not ensue in
preceding instances, as the same precautions were adopted ? I should esteem it a
favor to be informed if any rules are laid down for operating in gas-light, as till then I
shall be obliged to desist."

hissingnoise - 25-4-2010 at 11:53

(Like a meteor, eject a dazzling train of fire from your....)

Hmmm, file under 'Greek Fire'?