Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Anhydrous AlCl3

SunlightChemist - 10-8-2009 at 22:47

Hi,

I Was just wondering if anybody had any idea's as to the cheapest way to manufacture Anhydrous AlCl3 for use in Friedel-Crafts reactions. I Know that you can bubble chlorine gas through molten Aluminum, but i'd also be keen to hear of any other idea's.

Thanks.
- T.

kclo4 - 10-8-2009 at 23:07

UTFSE
There is a lot of talk about how to produce AlCl3 all over this forum and other places. It is not easy, and I don't know of anyone who has had success. The DMSO method looks promising, but even then its pretty difficult.

SunlightChemist - 10-8-2009 at 23:12

ha ha i could have used the search engine, but i wanted to start my own thread. :-)

Not easy?? Hmm, are you serious?? I'd have thought it'd be quite piss easy to be honest, i mean you can make hydrated aluminum chloride just by reacting it with hydrochloric acid yeah?? How do you dehydrate that?? Impossible??

Either way, i might just make a furnace and pass chlorine gas into hot aluminum metal then. Seems easy enough.

SunlightChemist - 10-8-2009 at 23:14

As a matter of fact, i might just head on over to that site in your signature. Thanks!

kclo4 - 10-8-2009 at 23:16

look around the DMSO is one way to dehydrate it, but its nearly impossible yes. It is a strong lewis acid after all, and those always have serious problems with water.

I don't think most people enjoy new threads when other threads with the same goal in mind exist and already have a lot of the bases covered. It makes it difficult to find things, and adds a lot of repetition to the site.