Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Why you should always dispose properly of your chemical waste

stoichiometric_steve - 12-1-2009 at 14:08

Because, as of late, it appears that home chemists and drug cooks are also being tracked down by local authorities monitoring waste water levels of certain chemicals. And they get them!

Jor - 12-1-2009 at 14:52

I do not worry too much. I collect heavy metal waste and chlorinated hydrocarbons. The rest, I let evaporaste and something like excess aniline, I burn.

kclo4 - 12-1-2009 at 15:02

Steve, Do you have a reference to this? I would like to see it. :)

harrydrez - 12-1-2009 at 15:19

Honestly, sounds a little paranoid. Yes, waste water is analyzed, but not to "catch drug cooks". I work in a lab that does just that (we test all kinds of waters, soils, airs for metals, organics, etc.) Effluent water is tested for pollution control purposes and stuff like that.

Fleaker - 12-1-2009 at 18:17

I don't know... it ought to be possible to isolate where the contamination is coming from and get it down to a pretty small area. But for the authorities to go through that much trouble, I would have to think there would need to be massive amounts of either drugs, explosives, or heavy metal residues that would justify their time and expense.

sparkgap - 12-1-2009 at 18:29

I think I posted this before...

sparky (~_~)

MagicJigPipe - 12-1-2009 at 18:39

In our current environment of overzealous paranoia I would not doubt it too much if law enforcement were to tap into someone's sewer line looking for drug precursors and metabolites. It is already done "anonymously" to check drug use levels in major cities.

Imagine how that would add to their case against someone if they found methamphetamine metabolites in the sewer. Even though it proves nothing I can see dumbass LEO attempting to use such invasive procedures. Maybe not now but in the near future.

I'm not extremely familiar with sewer systems but I do know that if they gained access to your property (or close to it) they could probably determine that the chemicals or metabolites were yours and not someone else's. Can anyone confirm or comment on this that knows more about sewer systems?

vulture - 13-1-2009 at 10:28

They'd have to tap directly into your connection to the communal sewer without compromising the chain of evidence. That means they'll have to bring somebody from the company or service that runs the sewers and they'll be doing it right under your nose, so it'd be hard not to spot. They'd also have to catch you the moment you are flushing it. Very hard to prove.

It could, however, convince a DA to give some overzealous cops a search warrant.

stoichiometric_steve - 13-1-2009 at 10:46

Quote:
Originally posted by harrydrez
Honestly, sounds a little paranoid. Yes, waste water is analyzed, but not to "catch drug cooks".

just because your company doesnt do it, doesnt mean nobody else does.

sparky, great post! it's real.

chloric1 - 13-1-2009 at 17:37

Its real but vulture is right, they atually have to tap into your connection.

But, in the event you are visited by some fuzz at your house, having contaminated soil, house, or whatever would definately look bad. In the eyes of the authorities, disorganization,contamination and chemicals haphazardly stored seem to be more likely connected with illicit activity. A well thought out and locked storage cabinet would make easier to convince them you are into legal stuff.

Many heavy metals can be reclaimed and organics burned.