Sciencemadness Discussion Board

distilling with a hot plate

zombie616 - 14-7-2008 at 14:07

I am trying to get a glass distilling setup and I was wondering if I really have to use a sand bath or or oil while distilling with a hot plate. I was also wondering exactly how I have to set up the oil or sand bath to eliminate hot spots.

Thank you in advance for your time.

chemkid - 14-7-2008 at 16:43

Well, if you are using expensive glassware it is totally worth it to protect your glassware. I have only performed distillations of solid dissolved in liquid to obtain the solid and never used an sand or oil bath, though it might make things go a bit smoother, i don't find it worth the effort (i have very little time to experiment usually :( ).

The concept is that the oil or sand is more thermally conductive than having air around the flask (or vessel). Therefore the heat is distributed through the sand/oil and also around your flask. In addition sand and oil won't carry the heat away from your vessel.

Chemkid

Klute - 14-7-2008 at 17:04

Using directly the hotplate as is will be very unpractical, and very wastefull heat-wise. Even a so-called air bath is crap IMHO, too much fluctuantion, heat dissipation, etc. The bets option is a water bath when the bp's are no higher than 80°C. Otherwise just use a pan with some oil adequatly chosen according to the desired pot temperature, and if you are using a stirrer hotplate, throw in a piece of steel wire to provide some stirring of the oil (like one of those things you use to hold several pieces of paper together).

Phosphor-ing - 15-7-2008 at 03:40

Paper clip in the oil bath. Genius

Klute - 15-7-2008 at 03:44

That's the word I wa looking for, thank you :)

vulture - 15-7-2008 at 08:50

Be wary that most oils are flammable, this a serious hazard when distilling high boiling or oxidizing compounds.