Sciencemadness Discussion Board

My website will be down irregularly, fatal power supply failure.

woelen - 20-6-2008 at 12:09

We had a power failure last night and when powering up again, my NSLU2 webserver is broken :(. It has an external switched power supply, and this is TOTALLY dead, and I have the impression that my NSLU2 is damaged (less stable).

I wired up a temporary power supply with an L7805 and an el-cheapo spare 9V transformer and for the time being it seems to work again, but I expect more downtimes in the upcoming period before I will have a new power supply, designed for the NSLU2. So, if one of you is browsing the website, please accept my apologies if it is not online. In such a case, try again later. When all is working correctly again and stable, then I'll let you know through this thread.

Btw, I am really amazed at the low power consumption of this device. Just for fun, I measure the current between the 7805 input and the output of the filter capacitor, and this is only 0.35 A when the device is working. So, the power drain of the webserver is only 1.65 Watt. My setup takes well over 5W, due to the crappy transformer, which gets quite hot and is inefficient.

pantone159 - 20-6-2008 at 12:26

Too bad, hope you get it fixed soon. As long as you have the data saved ok all will be fine though.

Power supply failures are the most common hardware problems I have run into.