Sciencemadness Discussion Board

a tale from the ug days at the big U

chemrox - 3-6-2008 at 18:59

We were given oil baths, corks and glass with stems. It was ugly in the ug labs at the big U. Professor R made everybody heat his oil bath up at the same time. The procedure called for placing the sep/addition funnel on top of the condenser. No flame was allowed once the ether was poured. I came prepared; I had iodine. I brought a turkey baster and an ice bucket. I got some freshly distilled ether from another lab. I didn't heat my oil. I used water from the hot water tap instead. I didn't screw around with the goofy setup. I put my addition funnel in the side neck where it belonged. I put my Mg in the flask, poured in a little ether and got all the air out before starting my condenser water. I put an I2 crytsal in the Mg, ran in a little of the concentrated halide/ether mix and it turned reddish brown and started refluxing right away. The solvent quickly started overrunning the condenser and the ice and turkey baster came into play. I was leaving when almost everybody was starting to get the reaction going. Some guys never got it to go .. there were always those guys..

Sauron - 3-6-2008 at 21:21

Yeah, there were always guys who couldn't boil water in the practical labs.

I hope they all married Stepford wives (or stepford husband) who would make coffee for them.

And have stepford secretaries at the office.

Saerynide - 4-6-2008 at 03:26

Turkey baster?? I don't recall using or needing a turkey baster :P

unionised - 4-6-2008 at 11:23

" I don't recall using or needing a turkey baster "
That could start a thread all of its own, possibly more biology than chemistry. ;-)
When I was a student we were expected to do most practical work in pairs. I found a totally hamfisted partner. I did the practical work- he did the writeup- I copied it. It seemed like a sensible agreement .

[Edited on 4-6-08 by unionised]