Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Moonshiners' 'Thumpers': Myth or Reality?

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  8

aga - 19-2-2015 at 12:52

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  
If the refractometers don't work out... Shake a bottle!:D

Explain please.

Does shaking a bottle of distillate *sound* different or something, depending on EtOH concentration ?

aga - 19-2-2015 at 13:02

ah. Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBlTBk-3KYM

deltaH - 19-2-2015 at 13:31

Aga, if you get enrichment, can you please try two thumpers in series as well (if you have the glassware)?

deltaH - 19-2-2015 at 13:42

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
ah. Youtube

Yup, 'dis er here is good alk-e-hol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svNwR6U6r7M

Zombie - 19-2-2015 at 14:00

208 is a lot of centigrade, so i assume you mean Farenheit ( or 97C).

That implies it's the liquid temperature rather than the Vapor temperature, which is what i watch in normal distillations.

For the experiment, there will hopefully be 3 thermometers: 1 for each stillhead for the Vapor temperatures, and one in the Thumper Liquid.

[Edited on 19-2-2015 by aga]

It's funny. I work in Millimeters rather than inches, yet Centigrade alludes me.
I'll get the hang of it, sooner than later.

The three thermometers will prove interesting to watch. You will get to see the boil points shiftingfrom the boiler to the thumper. One in the boiler liquid id the main one to keep an eye on, and the product stream is the Most important factor. You want a steady, yet broken stream. Nothing faster. Almost fast drops per second. Throttling the heat to maintain that is much more important than watching temps.

Zombie - 19-2-2015 at 14:03

Key to the thumper is having the vapor inlet as close to the bottom as can be done. In fact touching the bottom is the way a proper thump is run. It creates smaller bubbles, and allows for more vapor / liquid interaction.

If i'd have known that, i'd have ordered a frit as well !

It's not really needed to run this. Most fellas run a 2" copper pipe to the bottom. That's where the name "Thumper came from. The massive vapor bubbles hitting the bottom of the barrel bounces the pipe untill the thumper liquid heats up.

It's better than watching Golf!

Zombie - 19-2-2015 at 14:06

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  
Key to the thumper is having the vapor inlet as close to the bottom as can be done. In fact touching the bottom is the way a proper thump is run. It creates smaller bubbles, and allows for more vapor / liquid interaction.

If i'd have known that, i'd have ordered a frit as well !

Stuff some glass wool into the tube. It will help to disperse the gas.

(EDIT)

Hell, since we are doing it thumper-style, wrap any sort of non-reactive meshing around the end of the tube. Anything that can force gas bubbles to burst as they exit the down tube.

[Edited on 19-2-2015 by Loptr]

Not a bad suggestion. You just have to be careful not to create back pressure.

Zombie - 19-2-2015 at 14:10

If the refractometers don't work out... Shake a bottle!:D

Explain please.

Does shaking a bottle of distillate *sound* different or something, depending on EtOH concentration ?

LOL No!

It's the bubbles. Hillbilly trick.

Large long lasting bubbles indicate higher proof, and small short lived bubbles indicate lower proof.

It's a comparative "skill". When you retrieve your final samples. I'l wager you will be able to see the difference if you shake them in small sample bottles.

Make a Vid, and post it. I'll tell you the proof.:cool:

Zombie - 19-2-2015 at 14:14

Quote: Originally posted by deltaH  
ah. Youtube

He's repeating what he heard but explaining it incorrectly.
Long liver bubbles are higher proof.

Try this at home kids! Jack Daniels:D may be in your future.

aga - 19-2-2015 at 14:14

Aga, if you get enrichment, can you please try two thumpers in series as well (if you have the glassware)?

If the data shows that it works, we probably will.

For the record, i'm just the pot boiling moonshine monkey, and the Science is all up to Bloggers.

Personally i can see that the original heated debate was all about a Thumper not being able to magically defy the laws of physics.

The Key point missed was that a Thumper introduces a Time factor to the distillate concentration, in that you should first get a Higher ethanol concentration in the Early distillate, which steadily decreases over the Time of the run.

Over an Entire run, until the last drop of ethanol is extracted, there is no difference at all, as thermodynamics et al predict correctly.

For the purposes of Drinking the stuff, Flavour is important (can't imagine why), so that would be a more important factor than the overall efficiency to moonshiners.

Molecular Manipulations - 19-2-2015 at 14:21

The Key point missed was that a Thumper introduces a Time factor to the distillate concentration, in that you should first get a Higher ethanol concentration in the Early distillate, which steadily decreases over the Time of the run.

How does it do that?
In any distillation the first drops contain a high concentration of the lower boiling substance, thumper or not.
Seems like the opposite would be true for a thumpified setup. As the water will first dissolve a lot of ETOH, (unless you use ETOH in the thumper to begin with).
Also, a time factor doesn't change anything about it braking laws of physics, it makes no difference.

[Edited on 19-2-2015 by Molecular Manipulations]

aga - 19-2-2015 at 14:29

We don't know for certain (either way) at this point, hence the Experiment.

The Data will tell us all more.

Personally i think that the boiling pot effectively transfers heat and most of it's ethanol into the thumper, which, due to the heat, boils, but starts boiling at a Higher ethanol concentration than the original boiling pot.

Higher starting ethanol conc = higher distillate conc.

Then, the boiling pot can only pour steam & heat into the thumper, which continues heating it, yet also dilutes it, lowering the Output EtOH concentration over Time.

That's My theory, and i'm sticking to it or i win/lose a fiver.

blogfast25 - 19-2-2015 at 14:48

Aga, please get some billy dungarees. I'll send you the 'ABTT' cap ('Aga Blogfast Thumpy Team')! :D

"ABTT ROCKS!!!"

[Edited on 19-2-2015 by blogfast25]

blogfast25 - 19-2-2015 at 14:53

No thumper greed please, we're Britbillies! :D

aga - 19-2-2015 at 15:03

BritBillies simply cannot spelly incorrectly, never mind sayz stuff like dang.

Deys dang fools, hot damn.

However one plays the Ukelale rather well.

blogfast25 - 19-2-2015 at 15:04

Zomb:

Conversion F to C:

T(°C) = (T(°F) - 32) × 5/9

http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/temperature/how-fahrenhei...

Magpie - 19-2-2015 at 15:05

Blogfast25 has roped me in to do the dirty work, as he's currently 100% committed to skiiving.

Here's the photos of what Bloggers and i think will provide a fair approximation of a Thumper, using standard glassware.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

1. Is that skiing, skydiving, or skivie-ing? :D

2. How are you going to sample the vapor off the boiler - I see no sample tap?

3. I thought the "thumping" sound would be from collapsing bubbles of vapor.

[Edited on 19-2-2015 by Magpie]

blogfast25 - 19-2-2015 at 15:07

Hotdigirrydoo? "It's a long way to Tipperary!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqrAPOZxgzU

aga - 19-2-2015 at 15:14

I suspect Bloggers has done a side experiment, and doesn't want to share the data just yet.

I asked ...

yep.jpg - 7kB

blogfast25 - 19-2-2015 at 15:16

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
1. Is that skiing, skydiving, or skivie-ing? :D

On a serious note I've basically been bed ridden for a month or more. I'd have done it myself otherwise. Looks like fellow Britbilly is set to do a good job and that's what matters.

Magpie - 19-2-2015 at 15:18

Is that Bloggers, or the consultant he flew in from Appalacia?

blogfast25 - 19-2-2015 at 15:19

I suspect Bloggers has done a side experiment, and doesn't want to share the data just yet.

I asked ...

This I have to dispel completely. Apart from still supping cider, no alcohol has been near them here billyhands.

aga - 19-2-2015 at 15:21

erm, i must confess to studying Beer for rather too long a time ...

blogfast25 - 19-2-2015 at 15:27

Explain?

Britain is the NEW Appalachia! ;)

aga - 19-2-2015 at 15:28

He doesn't believe that the random hillbilly photo i found is one of you.

I think heeen got a purty mouth, hot dang.

Zyklon-A - 19-2-2015 at 15:38

How dare you share that picture of my uncle!? I gave that to you with a confidentiality agreement!
And I doubt anyone is looking at his mouth.

Loptr - 19-2-2015 at 15:38

I asked ...

That's popcorn sutton! He killed himself, IIRC, when the law came for his still.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local-news/moonshiner-popcorn-s...

I was in Cocke county not too long ago on a vacation with the family. I didn't know that was the county he lived. (Vacation to Gatlinburg, Tn; whitewater rafting trip in Cocke county)

(EDIT)

Nvm. He lived in Parrotsville.

Zombie - 19-2-2015 at 15:50

If the data shows that it works, we probably will.

For the record, i'm just the pot boiling moonshine monkey, and the Science is all up to Bloggers.

Personally i can see that the original heated debate was all about a Thumper not being able to magically defy the laws of physics.

Over an Entire run, until the last drop of ethanol is extracted, there is no difference at all, as thermodynamics et al predict correctly.

For the purposes of Drinking the stuff, Flavour is important (can't imagine why), so that would be a more important factor than the overall efficiency to moonshiners.

99% correct. The difference is you will get a higher ABV due to concentration (with a thump), and more volume / lower ABV (without a thump)

Magpie - 19-2-2015 at 15:51

That's a shame. We should be protecting our moonshiners as a tourist attraction.

Zombie - 19-2-2015 at 15:54

We don't know for certain (either way) at this point, hence the Experiment.

The Data will tell us all more.

Personally i think that the boiling pot effectively transfers heat and most of it's ethanol into the thumper, which, due to the heat, boils, but starts boiling at a Higher ethanol concentration than the original boiling pot.

Higher starting ethanol conc = higher distillate conc.

Then, the boiling pot can only pour steam & heat into the thumper, which continues heating it, yet also dilutes it, lowering the Output EtOH concentration over Time.

That's My theory, and i'm sticking to it or i win/lose a fiver.

You are 100% correct.

What you still did not factor in is the BP of each. They start off equal, the thump BP gets lower as the ABV rises, and the pot gets hotter as ABV decreases.

Said it forty times... That is what makes this work, and insulation is not mandatory due to this shift.

[Edited on 20-2-2015 by Zombie]

Zombie - 19-2-2015 at 15:56

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

Aga, please get some billy dungarees. I'll send you the 'ABTT' cap ('Aga Blogfast Thumpy Team')! :D

"ABTT ROCKS!!!"

You forgot the can of "Dip" (Chewin' Tobaccy)

Zombie - 19-2-2015 at 15:59

Zomb:

Conversion F to C:

T(°C) = (T(°F) - 32) × 5/9

http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/temperature/how-fahrenhei...

Or there's this...

http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

Zombie - 19-2-2015 at 16:03

Hotdigirrydoo? "It's a long way to Tipperary!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqrAPOZxgzU

I'll see ya and raise ya two...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDTQQWSmo8s

Zombie - 19-2-2015 at 16:07

I asked ...

Thats' Popcorn Sutton. He actually has an amazing life story. It's worth looking up.

He committed suicide rather than do federal time for moonshining.
The man is estimated to have made 3 million dollars worth of liquor in his lifetime.

Here is the foot stone from his grave.

6a00d8341c625053ef011168fb9e34970c-800wi.png - 346kB

Zombie - 19-2-2015 at 16:10

Explain?

Britain is the NEW Appalachia! ;)

You guys are all gonna do time fer moonshinin':cool:

blogfast25 - 19-2-2015 at 16:53

I think heeen got a purty mouth, hot dang.

I loahst all my toothies by crackin' open them billy bottles of wheat beer with my mah cakehole, brov. Keep yer powder dry! I fought the Lhaw and the Lhaw lost...

[Edited on 20-2-2015 by blogfast25]

chemrox - 19-2-2015 at 17:35

That's a shame. We should be protecting our moonshiners as a tourist attraction.

I thought we did? what about NASCAR? and "reality" TV?

Magpie - 19-2-2015 at 18:06

When in Nashville to attend a technical meeting I made a side trip to Lynchburg, TN and toured the Jack Daniels distillery. They use large distillation columns, bubble-cap plates IIRC, and activated self-made charcoal lumps to absorb the nasties. It's ironic that this is all located in a "dry" county. Therefore they couldn't provide us tourists with a sample of their famous sippin' whiskey. :(

blogfast25 - 19-2-2015 at 18:12

They use large distillation columns, bubble-cap plates IIRC, [...]

It don't swing if ain't got that thumpin' thing!

I got arrested in a dry county in Texas once (for 2 Bud Lights). Seriously! One night in the Drunk Tank (LOL) and $80 fine after pleading guilty.

chemrox - 19-2-2015 at 18:15

I think you're all wrong about this-seriously-the thumper allows a takeoff for co-distilling water and byproducts that come off early. If you used a fractionating still you'd get almost pure ethanol/water 95%. With a gooseneck and thumper you get a liquor. The thumper keep the liquor from being "too flavorful." The stuff called fusel oil is made up of higher boiling alcohols. Higher boiling but not so high boiling they don't co-distill with the ethanol/water but a lot of them drop out just after the first bend in the copper. This is where the thumper collects them. I'm going to make one with glass and try it with different columns and straight still configurations.

Zombie - 19-2-2015 at 18:20

I can just picture that!!!

You know the first thing I noticed when we moved "down south".
Every gas station you pull into has a bath tub sized cooler full of ice, and beer. No lid to open, just reach in and grab a cold one right next to the checkout.

It's as if they are supplying the driving / influence, to driving under the influence.
It's a practice that I think should be banned down here. No ice cold sodas, They're in the cooler across the room. Just beer.

Zombie - 19-2-2015 at 18:27

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
I think you're all wrong about this-seriously-the thumper allows a takeoff for co-distilling water and byproducts that come off early. If you used a fractionating still you'd get almost pure ethanol/water 95%. With a gooseneck and thumper you get a liquor. The thumper keep the liquor from being "too flavorful." The stuff called fusel oil is made up of higher boiling alcohols. Higher boiling but not so high boiling they don't co-distill with the ethanol/water but a lot of them drop out just after the first bend in the copper. This is where the thumper collects them. I'm going to make one with glass and try it with different columns and straight still configurations.

This is where a smart distiller will add flavors. In the Thump.
I think I mentioned it already... Apples, oranges, hell... Pumpkin Pie spice. You can modify the flavor profile at the same time as increasing the ABV.
For an inefficient tool it is actually very versatile. Add pure water to strip the flavor of a bad mash (lower abv as well), add white lightening to up the ABV of a weak mash, add flavors, or just up the proof of any old mash.

Them Billies done good in my book. but to qualify I still believe Fahrenheit is real;).

blogfast25 - 19-2-2015 at 18:40

Them Billies done good in my book. but to qualify I still believe Fahrenheit is real;).

It IS real, it's just not used in science. There are good reasons for that.

Fahrenheit was an excellent thermometer maker, for his time.

Zombie - 19-2-2015 at 18:44

It IS real, it's just not used in science. There are good reasons for that.

Fahrenheit was an excellent thermometer maker, for his time.

What are the reasons? Serious.

I get the 0*C= 32*F is an easier starting point but are there other reasons?

blogfast25 - 19-2-2015 at 19:03

Unification of measurement units. Facilitates trade. The SI system. F is now only used in a few countries and a few British die-hards.

The need to convert. Thermodynamics really only works with Kelvin. K = C + 273.15. Absolute zero is 0 K. Easier to convert from C to K than from F to K.

Zombie - 19-2-2015 at 19:10

Unification of measurement units. Facilitates trade. The SI system. F is now only used in a few countries and a few British die-hards.

The need to convert. Thermodynamics really only works with Kelvin. K = C + 273.15. Absolute zero is 0 K. Easier to convert from C to K than from F to K.

I can see that +32 ,5/9ths... Ill use the software.

blogfast25 - 19-2-2015 at 19:19

How about a billy calculator?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=calcular+large&biw=109...

How hard can it be? Take number, subtract 32. Take result, multiply by five and divide by nine!

Doh!

Luke - 19-2-2015 at 19:35

I just realised that a carter head gin basket is basically like a little thumper. My flatmate wanted to make some gin so we might use a thump design to do it on the cheap.

Will be made on neutral though, no corn based hillbilly gin for us!

I think I mentioned it already... Apples, oranges, hell... Pumpkin Pie spice. You can modify the flavor profile at the same time as increasing the ABV.
For an inefficient tool it is actually very versatile. Add pure water to strip the flavor of a bad mash (lower abv as well), add white lightening to up the ABV of a weak mash, add flavors, or just up the proof of any old mash.

Are you going to take a video aga?

Zombie - 19-2-2015 at 19:40

How about a billy calculator?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=calcular+large&biw=109...

How hard can it be? Take number, subtract 32. Take result, multiply by five and divide by nine!

Doh!

I had one of those, and I lost it somewhere. :(

Zombie - 19-2-2015 at 19:44

Quote: Originally posted by Luke  
I just realised that a carter head gin basket is basically like a little thumper. My flatmate wanted to make some gin so we might use a thump design to do it on the cheap.

Will be made on neutral though, no corn based hillbilly gin for us!

Are you going to take a video aga?

A Carter head is a thumper. Exact same principle. You will have a huge advantage in using a thump as a gin basket because of the boost in ABV, and the fact that you will not have to clean juniper oils out of your still.

Half the size of the boiler, and half full of liquid. Simple rule.

Edit:
Corn Gin doesn't even sound right.

What you might want to try is adding peeled cucumber to the gin basket, along with your other products. It really is GOOD!

Magpie - 19-2-2015 at 21:58

The stuff called fusel oil is made up of higher boiling alcohols. Higher boiling but not so high boiling they don't co-distill with the ethanol/water but a lot of them drop out just after the first bend in the copper. This is where the thumper collects them. I'm going to make one with glass and try it with different columns and straight still configurations.

Fusel oil, I understand, is mostly amyl alcohol. I've been trying to figure out how to synthesize this for years. Yeah, I know you can buy it. But what's the fun in that.

deltaH - 20-2-2015 at 00:10

Do you mean tert-amyl alcohol (2-methyl-2-butanol, aka 2M2B)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tert-Amyl_alcohol

DJF90 - 20-2-2015 at 01:52

No, he means n-amyl alcohol, aka 1-pentanol/pentan-1-ol.

deltaH - 20-2-2015 at 03:43

Ah thanks, but the 2M2B sounds interesting though. Sorry for the tangent, it shall stop here.

[Edited on 20-2-2015 by deltaH]

Zombie - 20-2-2015 at 04:23

The stuff called fusel oil is made up of higher boiling alcohols. Higher boiling but not so high boiling they don't co-distill with the ethanol/water but a lot of them drop out just after the first bend in the copper. This is where the thumper collects them. I'm going to make one with glass and try it with different columns and straight still configurations.

Fusel oil, I understand, is mostly amyl alcohol. I've been trying to figure out how to synthesize this for years. Yeah, I know you can buy it. But what's the fun in that.

You're going to have to look this up but I believe the fuesil's come from the spent or dead yeast cells.
My grandfather had told me to never use too much yeast because you get more "tails", and that's where the Fueslis come in. These keytones, and alcohols have a higher BP than EtOH, and near that of water.

Luke - 20-2-2015 at 05:30

Interesting, maybe thats why turbo yeast gives so many fusels, even when doing a 10% wash (it shouldnt stress the yeast)

You're going to have to look this up but I believe the fuesil's come from the spent or dead yeast cells.
My grandfather had told me to never use too much yeast because you get more "tails", and that's where the Fueslis come in. Theses keytones, and alcohols have a higher BP than EtOH, and near that of water.

blogfast25 - 20-2-2015 at 07:29

Here's a Billy getting ready to boil an academic librul in a pot with some failed likker:

http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6...

And this one, despite the beautiful construction, seems to have over engineered his thumpy a little bit:

deltaH - 20-2-2015 at 07:36

And this one, despite the beautiful construction, seems to have over engineered his thumpy a little bit:

Yes... that coil around the thumper seems totally redundant.

blogfast25 - 20-2-2015 at 07:59

In another variant I saw, that kind of thumper with an external coil, was then immersed in a (cold) water bath. He called it a 'self-tuning thumper' but provided no elucidation re. the meaning of that term. He's of course only delaying things unnecessarily.

deltaH - 20-2-2015 at 08:20

In another variant I saw, that kind of thumper with an external coil, was then immersed in a (cold) water bath. He called it a 'self-tuning thumper' but provided no elucidation re. the meaning of that term. He's of course only delaying things unnecessarily.

Yes I also just read about that... seems silly to me because the beauty of the thumper lies in its simplicity, if you're willing to make an improved design then I'd rather build a refluxed tray.

Also noticed that they seem to have the problem of not being able to run their stills at high boil up, complaining that when they did, it resulted in a 'hot liquor', I assume that means more crap in the end product... but that just sounds like bad thumper design, specifically a mass transfer issue (inadequate diffuser) leading to vapour by-passing the thumper in effect and so negating the benefit of that stage.

Zombie - 20-2-2015 at 08:25

Quote: Originally posted by Luke  
Interesting, maybe thats why turbo yeast gives so many fusels, even when doing a 10% wash (it shouldnt stress the yeast)

My grandfather had told me to never use too much yeast because you get more "tails", and that's where the Fueslis come in. Theses keytones, and alcohols have a higher BP than EtOH, and near that of water.

The active ingredient in "Turbos" is Ammonium Nitrate. Some of them also contain Magnesium Sulfate.
Basically they (Turbo yeasts) are Miracle Grow. without the coloring agents.

Where or if they have anything to do with Fuesils, I am not smart enough to know.

blogfast25 - 20-2-2015 at 08:30

The active ingredient in "Turbos" is Ammonium Nitrate. Some of them also contain Magnesium Sulfate.
Basically they (Turbo yeasts) are Miracle Grow. without the coloring agents.

Where or if they have anything to do with Fuesils, I am not smart enough to know.

Actually the ammonium nitrate acts as yeast nutrient (food). Not sure about MgSO4.

Re. fusel chemistry, I think it's still fairly poorly understood. The same for heads chemistry: methanol and ketones. There are some decent academic papers on both though.

Zombie - 20-2-2015 at 08:33

Yes I also just read about that... seems silly to me because the beauty of the thumper lies in its simplicity, if you're willing to make an improved design then I'd rather build a refluxed tray.

Also noticed that they seem to have the problem of not being able to run their stills at high boil up, complaining that when they did, it resulted in a 'hot liquor', I assume that means more crap in the end product... but that just sounds like bad thumper design, specifically a mass transfer issue (inadequate diffuser) leading to vapour by-passing the thumper in effect and so negating the benefit of that stage.

This is actually a very real issue. It is why I stressed the output rate soooooo many times.
If you run too hot you introduce more water vapor (low abv), and more of the tails or Fuesil oils.

It absolutely negates the use of the thumper in the first place.

The rules of operation are very strict, and within a narrow window of error.
Hot Liquor refers to the Amyl Alch, and its "bite". It's very much like Isopropyl on the palate.

blogfast25 - 20-2-2015 at 08:34

[...] if you're willing to make an improved design then I'd rather build a refluxed tray.

Completely second that. A controlled refluxer/tray would be far more efficient and demonstrably effective.

Even simpler: a decent fractionating column. Easy peasy and highly effective.

Zombie - 20-2-2015 at 08:39

The MgSO4 is a ph buffer. That is all it is there for.

Some mashes (grain ferments) tend to get acidic, Some lean towards Vinegar infection, and that is unhealthy for the yeast.

blogfast25 - 20-2-2015 at 08:42

This guy here is a bit like watching paint dry but he knows what he's doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IquAY0AB_tw

Beautiful craftsmanship...

blogfast25 - 20-2-2015 at 08:44

Impossible: a salt of an electropositive metal (magnesium) and a strong acid (H2SO4) cannot have buffering properties.

It's 'pH', BTW, not 'ph'.

Zombie - 20-2-2015 at 08:50

[...] if you're willing to make an improved design then I'd rather build a refluxed tray.

Completely second that. A controlled refluxer/tray would be far more efficient and demonstrably effective.

That's where all this comes full circle back to the nature of the builders, and operators of thumpers.

For the most part they were back woods Tennessee hill folk.
The most they understood was basic trading math, and how to fit a lid on a bucket.
If you think about the origin, it's actually quite a leap in evolution for them.

aga - 20-2-2015 at 08:51

As i understand it so far, an 'improved' design would be to simply isolate the boiling pot when most of the EtOH has distilled over, and move the fire over to the Thumper.

Patent Pending: Aga's Flames on Wheels Distillation Technique.

blogfast25 - 20-2-2015 at 08:54

Patent Pending: Aga's Flames on Wheels Distillation Technique.

Get a license and open a restaurant: 'Aga's Flames on Wheels Likker and Burgers'. Can't go wrong.

Zombie - 20-2-2015 at 08:58

Impossible: a salt of an electropositive metal (magnesium) and a strong acid (H2SO4) cannot have buffering properties.

It's 'pH', BTW, not 'ph'.

Then in that case you cracked your very first "Moonshine Myth."

It's widely heralded in the "shine" community that the Epsom salts play a role in buffering as well as an added nutrient for the yeast.

Re: Nutrients - Epson Salts
Postby olddog » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:06 pm

Making a good wash is a bit like baking a cake, you need food for the yeast: sugar, Neutrients to keep the yeast healthy, and a healthy enviroment for the yeast to multiply and ferment: the PH level. The acid: lemon juice etc, and the alkaline: epson salts, baking soda etc, provide the correct enviroment for the yeast to live in (PH 4.5 - 5). Like baking a cake, ingredients like all bran, gerber, cracked corn (UJSSM) can be varied to bake a different cake as long as the basics stay the same.

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
olddog
Master Distiller

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1300...

hyfalcon - 20-2-2015 at 09:00

If you want an improved design WITHOUT a thumper. Check this out.

http://www.hillbillystills.com/category_s/94.htm

Magpie - 20-2-2015 at 09:00

As i understand it so far, an 'improved' design would be to simply isolate the boiling pot when most of the EtOH has distilled over, and move the fire over to the Thumper.

A moonshiner doesn't stop with just one batch. That scenario would be inefficient in the long run as there's the next batch to consider, IMO.

Zombie - 20-2-2015 at 09:01

Here's a trivia bit for you.

The fella "Old Dog" in the above post was the first guy to venture into Plated Columns for the hobby level distiller.
I'm not sure of the year but it was somewhere near 2009. Before him, and his work there were no plated columns at the home level.

blogfast25 - 20-2-2015 at 09:05

Zombie:

The problem is common: conflation of terms.

That some washes need buffering is possible but non-chemists use that term very, very loosely.

A buffer is comprised of a weak acid plus the salt of that weak acid. Best knowm/most used is probably the acetate buffer: a mixture of acetic acid (vinegar, if you prefer) and sodium acetate. It has a precise pH and resists additions of small amounts of acid or base quite well, without change in pH.

Mg citrate plus citric acid would be a buffer but whether it would work in mashes/washes I do not know. Citrate buffers are very common.

And buffers are very common in biological systems (like cells) that operate only well in narrow pH windows.

blogfast25 - 20-2-2015 at 09:07

A moonshiner doesn't stop with just one batch. That scenario would be inefficient in the long run as there's the next batch to consider, IMO.

He's only referring to the enrichment aspect, I think. Double distillation. On that point he's right, regardless of practicalities.

Zombie - 20-2-2015 at 09:11

Here's a Pict of a pot / thumper I designed for a friend. This is set up on his kitchen stove.
Beside the pot / thump. it also has a 3' tall packed media column in a Boka still configuration. This rig puts out about one gallon of azeotrope in 2-3 hours running time.

The second pict. is the same rig without the Boka, and a Liebig condenser.

These are just small scale home type rigs. I've built Much larger stills in the past.

IMG_20140928_124205.jpg - 671kB

CAM00149-1.jpg - 407kB

Magpie - 20-2-2015 at 09:14

Re: Nutrients - Epson Salts
Postby olddog » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:06 pm

Making a good wash is a bit like baking a cake, you need food for the yeast: sugar, Neutrients to keep the yeast healthy, and a healthy enviroment for the yeast to multiply and ferment: the PH level. The acid: lemon juice etc, and the alkaline: epson salts, baking soda etc, provide the correct enviroment for the yeast to live in (PH 4.5 - 5). ...

Epsom salt (MgSO4) is a salt of a weak base and a strong acid. It can't be alkaline.

aga - 20-2-2015 at 09:17

Amazing how "Getting Very Drunk" has produced so many interesting designs and methods.

The Computer/Internet is the one human artefact with the most man-hours put into it so far.

I bet Making Booze comes a close second.

Zombie - 20-2-2015 at 09:20

He's only referring to the enrichment aspect, I think. Double distillation. On that point he's right, regardless of practicalities.

Truth of the matter is, there is no need to move anything. The heat from the water vapor in the Alch. depleted boiler is now coming over at or near 210 - 212 * f, and the BP in the thump is at or near 185 - 190 *f.
No need to move anything

Zombie - 20-2-2015 at 09:25

Amazing how "Getting Very Drunk" has produced so many interesting designs and methods.

The Computer/Internet is the one human artefact with the most man-hours put into it so far.

I bet Making Booze comes a close second.

I would imagine Hootch production has most everything beat in the amount of time invested.
If making liquor were legal in the US I venture to guess we never would have become a nation. Hell we would most likely collapse from the loss of Tax Dollars.

George Washington himself made liquor production illegal, and opened the nations first distillery. He produced over 100,000 gallons of Taxed liquor per year.

blogfast25 - 20-2-2015 at 09:30

Here's a Pict of a pot / thumper I designed for a friend. This is set up on his kitchen stove.
Beside the pot / thump. it also has a 3' tall packed media column in a Boka still configuration. This rig puts out about one gallon of azeotrope in 2-3 hours running time.

Where is the likker outlet in that top design?

Magpie - 20-2-2015 at 09:31

All this talk has made me thirsty. :D Ahhhh!

Jack Daniels.jpg - 113kB

aga - 20-2-2015 at 09:46

The refractometer arrived !

I confess i've never seen one before, and will need to play with it to get to grips with it.

The procedure is very simple: put a few drops of the liquid on the glass, close the flap, ensuring no air bubbles, wait 30 secs for the temeratures to equalise, then look through the lens.

Where the Blue meets the White background, you read off the scale your %.

Apologies for the terrible photos taken thru the eyepiece with a crappy webcam.

When you Look into the eyepiece, it is very clear and you see all of the scale.

The highest reading is from a bottle of bacardi labelled 37.5%
I diluted it down for the other two readings.

IMG_0412.JPG - 180kB 2015-02-20_06-26-34-PM.jpg - 20kB 2015-02-20_06-28-19-PM.jpg - 20kB 2015-02-20_06-30-08-PM.jpg - 20kB

Zombie - 20-2-2015 at 09:49

Where is the likker outlet in that top design?

Here is a small pict, and the link to a decent build thread.
the vapor is condensed at the top of the column using a "cold finger" coil, and the condensate drips onto a slant plate for collection.
It is a Very slow running still but reaches azeo. when combined with a thumper.

Without a thumper it will produce approx 80 - 85 ABV from start to finish.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36050

Samohon_Boka_diagram.jpg - 13kB

Zombie - 20-2-2015 at 09:52

All this talk has made me thirsty. :D Ahhhh!

I'm a FireBall Whiskey guy myself. Made my mouth water just posting the pict.

Screen_shot_2012-02-24_at_12.24.37_PM.jpg - 52kB

blogfast25 - 20-2-2015 at 09:53

I see. That part wasn't shown.

How do you create a safe seal between these cooking pots and their lids?

Zombie - 20-2-2015 at 09:56

I confess i've never seen one before, and will need to play with it to get to grips with it.

The procedure is very simple: put a few drops of the liquid on the glass, close the flap, ensuring no air bubbles, wait 30 secs for the temeratures to equalise, then look through the lens.

Where the Blue meets the White background, you read off the scale your %.

Apologies for the terrible photos taken thru the eyepiece with a crappy webcam.

When you Look into the eyepiece, it is very clear and you see all of the scale.

The highest reading is from a bottle of bacardi labelled 37.5%
I diluted it down for the other two readings.

That is Lovely. The 20% reading is the lowest you want to see for this experiment.
We are trying to replicate the actual running conditions.

I guess it's blind luck there was a bottle of Bacardi lying around.
I'm digging this chemistry stuff!:D

Magpie - 20-2-2015 at 09:58

Nice! If you make a scale of refractive index vs %ABV you might have an instrument that can be used for other liquids as well.

blogfast25 - 20-2-2015 at 10:00

Lookin' good. I'll have to get one too. :mad:

blogfast25 - 20-2-2015 at 10:04

Nice! If you make a scale of refractive index vs %ABV you might have an instrument that can be used for other liquids as well.

That's probably not gonna work: it's very alcohol specific. Have a look at this:

http://www.refractometer.pl/refraction-datasheet-ethanol

Zombie - 20-2-2015 at 10:08

I see. That part wasn't shown.

How do you create a safe seal between these cooking pots and their lids?

I use EPTFE. Expanded Teflon sheet material, and those spring type clamps that you use to hold bundles of stationary together.
The sheet material comes in any size square you need, and you simply cut a gasket. NO other material is usable due to the temp, and EtOh vapor.

The "Old School" Billies use flour / oatmeal, and water to make a paste to seal up stills.

I'm a little ahead of them. Not much but enough.

the cold finger, and top cap were not in place in that photo. That's why you didn't see them. It's a separate unit, with a couple-r. I use those thick rubber bands like you see on Lobster Claws to seal those parts. between the condenser on the top, and a 1/16" vent hole in the cap, there is no chance of positive pressure inside the still.

The only potential danger is if you loose cooling water, and then raw vapor will fall down the outside of the column, and whoosh!

Zombie - 20-2-2015 at 10:11

That's probably not gonna work: it's very alcohol specific. Have a look at this:

That is correct. I have one for Anti Freeze specific gravity. It shows nothing with alcohol.

blogfast25 - 20-2-2015 at 10:18

Zomb:

The 'Boka' looks a bit oversized to me.

In the second design, I'd incline the Liebig a bit more.

Magpie - 20-2-2015 at 10:19

Yes, sadly (range1.3330-1.3614). It is hardly an Abbè (range: 1.3000-1.710).

http://www.atago.net/USA/products_abbe.php

[Edited on 20-2-2015 by Magpie]

Zombie - 20-2-2015 at 10:32

Zomb:

The 'Boka' looks a bit oversized to me.

In the second design, I'd incline the Liebig a bit more.

Look who's gone Billie on us!!!

The Boke is 2" x 36", and it is actually a hybrid. It's media packed (scorcia) to act as a full reflux column, and the Boka portion is simply there for a product take off.

For the second design you will notice the abrupt reduction from 2" pipe to 1/2" pipe. This creates a very high vapor speed that actually will fall out of a condenser with a higher angle.
Believe it or not I actually studied for more than a year on the principles of distillation. I have designed, and built the ONLY concentric / mixed media ethanol column know to exist at the hobby level.

Those pot stills were just to prove out certain math assumptions, and to have some fun. :D

Magpie - 20-2-2015 at 10:57

I've been looking at the ethanol-water VLE chart in my textbook (Foust) in regard to the enthalpy. It is presented as BTU/lb-mole. What's amazing is that the enthalpies for both the liquid and the vapor stay almost the same as the streams (liquid and vapor) increase in ethanol content. I interpret this to mean that once the thumper reaches maximum ethanol concentration it's not only going to put out a richer vapor but it's going to come over like gangbusters. My conclusion is based on the fact that a lb-mole of water weights 18 lbs whereas a lb-mole of ethanol weighs 46 lbs.

Zombie: Does your experience support this?

Edit: This is likely due to the fact that on a per mole basis water and ethanol heats of vaporization are very close, ie, for water it is 40.65 kJ/mol and for ethanol it is 42.3 kJ/mole. So 14 g of condensing water should evaporate 44 g of ethanol.

[Edited on 20-2-2015 by Magpie]

aga - 20-2-2015 at 11:56

I guess it's blind luck there was a bottle of Bacardi lying around.
I'm digging this chemistry stuff!:D

Usually there's a lot of beer cans lying around.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=30497

Search for 'Candenser'.

deltaH - 20-2-2015 at 11:58

That's where all this comes full circle back to the nature of the builders, and operators of thumpers.

For the most part they were back woods Tennessee hill folk.
The most they understood was basic trading math, and how to fit a lid on a bucket.
If you think about the origin, it's actually quite a leap in evolution for them.

I included some old looking rum still setups a while back in this thread that appeared to be using thumpers, so I'm not so sure these 'billies invented them. I think it's much more likely that this knowledge was imported from rum making methodology and that in itself might be very old, who knows?

blogfast25 - 20-2-2015 at 12:05

I saw a thumper on The Flintstones once! ;)
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  8