Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Rock Molester's Club

Pages:  1  2

diddi - 15-11-2015 at 20:00

interesting specimen for anyone to take a stab at ID...

KM4h.JPG - 1.9MB

j_sum1 - 15-11-2015 at 20:27

Ok. I'll hazard a guess.
It looks like it has blast lines so I am going to guess that it came from a quarry.
Greenish tinge. It doesn't appear to be scratched. On the other hand the lines are reasonably pronounced. So maybe it is soft. If so, maybe it is micaceous clinochlore. Parts of the specimen are grey with a bit of a lustre. So I'm going to guess magnetite.
You have just acquired it otherwise you wouldn't be showing it off. That probably means it came in the mail from overseas. Not that that narrows it down too much. But, you know, the US has interesting rocks and a lot of mineral collectors.

So, On that basis, I think it probably came from... a stab in the dark, Pennsylvania. Clinochlore on magnetite from a quarry in Pennsylvania.

Ok, I cheated badly and I's still 100% wrong.

diddi - 16-11-2015 at 03:52

hmmm. I fellow rock collector found it in his garden and gave it to me. So it will certainly be Australian as he is well travelled and has soo much scrap it spills everywhere and the chooks scratch them into the dirt. after a pressure washing this lovely specimen appeared. the fans are greenish, not unlike some epidotes I have seen, but the habit is not linear. I was almost thinking it may be kyanite? there is some evidence of metallic crystals including small galena steps, possible magnetite or arsenopyrite. It is roughly the density one would expect of a high concentration iron or copper mineral. The specimen is about 8cm across, so no micros here.

Heres a couple more views.
KM4k.JPG - 1.1MB

KM4i.JPG - 980kB

The Volatile Chemist - 17-11-2015 at 19:35

Very nice. Is it big? I always lke the big samples, gotva few I've found myself.
 Pages:  1  2