Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Simple, effective, high yield trinitrotoulene
Tucson-John
Harmless

Mood: Studious

[*] posted on 16-9-2003 at 14:17
Simple, effective, high yield trinitrotoulene

Often times I have seen very poor directions for TNT synthisis. The better ones need a true lab environment. I ran accross a beauty that was written for the USASDDS in Virgina.

****field expedient method****

Procedure: Synthesis of TNT, Procedure 11-01E (pp196)

Place 191 grams of 70% nitric acid into a beaker, and then gradually add over a period of 2 hours, 420 grams of 98% sulfuric acid. (Total; 611gr of mixed acid) Then place the beaker into a cold-water bath and cool to 10 to 15 Celsius. When the acid mixture reaches a temperature of about 10 to 15 Celsius, pour 96 milliliters of this acid mixture into a clean separate beaker, and then cool to 10 to 15 Celsius by means of a cold water bath. When the temperature of this 96-milliliter portion of acid mixture reaches 10 to 15 Celsius, slowly add 46 grams of toluene over a period of 4 hours while rapidly stirring the acid mixture and maintaining its temperature at 10 to 15 Celsius. After the addition of the toluene, continue stirring the reaction mixture for an additional 2 hours while keeping the reaction temperature at 10 to 15 Celsius. After which, add the remaining acid mixture obtained at the start of the procedure, to the reaction mixture and then after the addition, raise the temperature of the reaction mixture to 70 Celsius, and hold this temperature while rapidly stirring the reaction mixture for 2 hours. After 2 hours, raise the temperature to 80 Celsius, and heat at 80 Celsius for 2 hours while rapidly stirring the reaction mixture. After heating the reaction mixture to 80 Celsius for 2 hours, remove the heat source, and allow the reaction mixture to cool to room temperature. Then add the entire reaction mixture to 1000 milliliters of cracked ice, allow precipitation for at least one hour and then filter-off the precipitated TNT product. After which, wash the TNT precipitate with 1000 milliliters of water, and then vacuum dry or air-dry the TNT precipitate. Resultant is crude TNT; yield is over two ounces. Suggested is the freezing of “ice container” prior to filling w/ ice and precipitation of mixed acid composition.
Afterward to refine product into reagent-grade material, place 400 grams of 70% sulfuric acid into a beaker, and then add the dry TNT product. Afterwards, stir the mixture to form a slurry. Continue to stir the slurry for 2 hours at room temperature, and then filter-off the TNT product, wash with 1000 milliliters of cold water, and then vacuum dry or air-dry the TNT product.

NOTE: temperature 70c = 158f, 80c = 176f. Nitric Acid & Toluene are both close as measurements to one ml = one gram, Sulfuric acid is a very small fraction heavier.

*************Done*********

I thought it may be one of the best single step methods I have EVER seen.
-And I have seen a few so far.....

Johnny

CaCN2 + NH4NO3 = CH5N3.HNO3 .....simple.

Go To Top