Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Iron oxide
The_Simpsons
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-10-2005 at 01:39
Iron oxide

im going to make red iron oxide by first putting steel wool in water with a little bit salt in. after more a less a day i'll heat the iron hydroxide in the oven and then i obtain red iron oxide. will this work? is it simplier to use hydrochloric acid, and then put it in lye and then let it oxidize in air or add hydrogen peroxide and heat it in the oven? and if ihave it in water, how do i see it's done? iron hydroxide is grey too. very thankful for answers

[Edited on 23-10-2005 by The_Simpsons]
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 23-10-2005 at 03:07

Er, easier and cheaper to take scrap iron, add water, sulfuric acid (or hydrochloric) and a bubbler. The ferrous sulfate/chloride formed is oxidized by air to ferric, releasing drab orange ferric hydroxide; the iron metal then reduces the ferric ions in solution to ferrous (thus the salt is a catalyst). Calcine the orange rust to a reddish brown ferric oxide (rouge) product.

You could do worse than oxidize an iron anode in a salt solution. Mind that the product is very adsorbent and you have to calcine it near red heat before washing will remove the remaining salt.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
The_Simpsons
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-10-2005 at 04:22

thanks, english isn't my first language, what is scrap iron?
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-10-2005 at 05:33

Scrap iron is iron that has been used and would now be waste or sent for recycling. Old nails, rusted fence wire... anything that is made from iron but is rubbish.
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 23-10-2005 at 12:26

Scrap iron is every American car that gets less than 30 miles per gallon at today's fuel prices.

Go To Top