Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NiO as hydrogenation catalyst?
Protium
Harmless

Mood: unenlightened

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 03:25
NiO as hydrogenation catalyst?

Can NiO be used as a catalyst in Hydrogenations?

If so, would it have to be affixed to activated C or something?

If so, what would be a method of such fixation?

[Edited on 12-1-2005 by Protium]

It just depends on how you look at it...
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 23-2-2011 at 12:43

Does someone know the answer for that? I am really interested in it.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 23-2-2011 at 14:32

Im not 100% sure if that was the intended use or not but there is a thread around here titled seperation of Cu++ from Ni++ or something along them lines where I posted a patent for the production of Nickle oxide on carbon. They accomplished it by mixing a water soluble Ni salt with carbon and the precipitating the Nickle oxide onto the Carbon using (aq) Ammonia. That patent was the basis for the Nickle purification process I have been working on.

[edit]

Heres that thread, It appears there function was to produce Nickle peroxide and you can see our dicussion on the precipitation of the Nickle in that thread. As NotImportant pointed out in order to get the oxide instead of the hydroxide a reflux should be performed on the solution. I must say however I would have thought elemental Nickle precipitated onto a surface would be more effective then the oxide for hydrogenation. What is the mechanism for Nickle oxide hydrogenation, do you have a reference perhaps?

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=10527&...

[Edited on 23-2-2011 by Sedit]

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 23-2-2011 at 19:46

This states Silica as the ideal support media so with that in mind Silica gel would logically achieve a large surface area for reactions to proceed.

Nickel hydrogenation catalyst United States Patent 5258346
Attachment: US5258346.pdf (227kB)
This file has been downloaded 429 times

I love the idea of Nickle based reduction catalyst because of the simularity to Platinum group metals and the relative cheapness of it.

If I had time and a substrate to test it on I would take a Nickle salt and concentrated it as much as possible onto Silica gel, after that I would base it with concentrated warm Ammonia. Further review of the previous thread I linked to reveiled to me that I believe the reason that I get the hydroxide/oxide...WTF ever xide that forms from ammonia and a nickle salt instead of the complex is because you need as little water in the complex as possible evident by the mention that it should be formed over H2SO4. Since I have been using very dilute NH3 solutions the complex just can not form and I challenge anyone to prove me wrong because I would be very happy if you did. I have done all in my power with this dilute solution to make the Nickle amine complex but all I get is the precipitated oxide.

This I feel would be the best means for generating a fine Nickle catalyst for the reaction you have in mind.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 23-2-2011 at 20:34

Sedit, it is interesting that you bring up that patent. A couple of weeks ago I was investigating a co-precipitated Cobalt, Nickel, and copper on a solid silica support. I ended up doing this for my schools science fair, and I will post up my experiments in the next few days. You may be wondering why I wont just post what I turned in, but I have good reason for not doing so. Alot of the report is flulff, just satisfy some of the dumb requirements our school has. So tomorrow I will start editing my results for a SM friendly version.

Just to give you an idea of the procedure:

The procedure involves co-precipitating metal salts with sodium silicate on diatomaceous earth, then filtering the resulting precipitate and allowing it to dry. The precipitated material is then calcined at a certain temp for a certain amount time. This is done to decompose the carbonates and hydroxides into there oxides. Then the catalyst is reduced under an H2 atmosphere, and bla bla bla...

I will post the more detailed version later, once I get it edited.

Go To Top