Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Creation of nitrates from non-nitrates
Theoretic
National Hazard

Mood: eating the souls of dust mites

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 05:40

Look in the Sciencemadness library, the book about industrial nitrogen compounds states on page 16 that you can obtain calcium nitrate by passing a 0.75% (dilute is key, it states) solution of ammonium sulfate through peat impregnated with nitrifying bacteria and lime. 6.5 kg in 24 hours using 1 cumib metre of peat. If someone took up the idea and made the process go faster it could replace the usual method of catalytically oxidizing ammonia to NO, it would have the advantage of not needing expensive catalysts.

Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quantized

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 06:04

Nice to know! If I could simply find some protocols for the isolation of nitrifying bacteria I could probably isolate them (not that hell of a work) and embedd them in alginate beads. A continuous fermenter could be set-up quite easily then. I will check out for a couple of protocols, most probably after the exams now, but if anyone has any information for the isolation of such bacteria it is gladly welcome. After the exams I will have quite some resorces, I already have alginate, and can therefore try this out.

Theory guides, experiment decides.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top