Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Isopropanol ->[Oxidizer in question]-> Acetone
Cat_got_my_tungsten!
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-9-2007 at 14:21
Isopropanol ->[Oxidizer in question]-> Acetone

Would 100% isopropanol react with 1-bromo-3-chloro-5,5-dimethyl hydantion to give bromo/chloro-acetone? I have done an experiment with these things and found that the lacrimaing properties of the resulting solution were consistent with each other. Would sodium acetate act as a catalyst in this situation?
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 26-9-2007 at 14:33

Yes
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 26-9-2007 at 23:46

Well, I'm a little confounded by the disconnection between the thread title (2-propanol to acetone via oxidation) on the one hand, and the halogenation question on the other.

KMnO4 will chew the alcohol to acetone, leaving you with a MnO2 mess to clean up. But that is preferable to having to deal with Cr(VI) which is the unpalatable alternative.

Chloroacetone or bromoacetone are nasty lachrimators and quite toxic as lachrimators go, which is why they are no longer used for that purpose (riot control). My advice would be, don't make them. Reconsider whatever your synthetic scheme might be and find an alternative route.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 27-9-2007 at 00:16

I think he meant that he only wanted to confirm if his halogenating agent of choice will convert 2-propanol into nasty haloacetones. ;) I'm not sure if acetate is only here as an acid catalyst or something else...

sparky (~_~)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 27-9-2007 at 01:14

If he wants to oxidize the -OH to carbonyl with a halogen source the one to use is TCCA whi will make acetone and not chloroacetone.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 27-9-2007 at 07:45

Maybe he wants chloroacetone for the Friedel-Krafts. He might need the money. Oh hell I better go to work!
Antwain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Supersaturated

[*] posted on 27-9-2007 at 10:06

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
KMnO4 will chew the alcohol to acetone, leaving you with a MnO2 mess to clean up. But that is preferable to having to deal with Cr(VI) which is the unpalatable alternative.

Really? Even aside from availability, I would prefer to use the Cr(VI) with acid then distill the acetone out. Cr(III) is ok, and thats all you will have left. With KMnO4 (I would again want to use acid, no sense in wasting your oxidising agent) Alternative reactions can occur, such as the fun and excitement of turning the whole thing into CO2.

Then again you always have the enol oxidation, but thats not so bad at low temps. I have recently used KMnO4 solution in acetone for the fun and excitement of making arsine oxides.

Go To Top