Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dichloromethane now banned from US paint strippers
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-5-2024 at 06:21
Dichloromethane now banned from US paint strippers

from https://news.yahoo.com/u-bans-most-uses-paint-185621034.html

"The Environmental Protection Agency is banning most uses of a toxic chemical often used to refinish furniture and bathtubs that has been linked to dozens of deaths since 1980.

The agency announced a rule Tuesday that will limit all consumer uses of methylene chloride, as well as most industrial and commercial uses. Exempted uses include those "highly industrialized and important to national security and the economy," such as climate-friendly coolants and parts for electric vehicles, according to the EPA.

The EPA is restricting use of methylene chloride roughly six years after a CBS News investigation prompted three major retailers — Home Depot, Lowe's and Sherwin-Williams — to agree to pull products with the chemical off their shelves by the end of 2018.

Methylene chloride is known to cause a range of cancers, as well as neurotoxicity and liver damage, while direct exposure can lead to death, according to the EPA. At least 88 people have died from acute exposure to methylene chloride since 1980, most of them who were refinishing bathtubs or stripping paint, the agency said. The fatalities included trained workers who were equipped with personal protection equipment.

"Exposure to methylene chloride has devastated families across this country for too long, including some who saw loved ones go to work and never come home," EPA Administrator Michael S. Regan said in a statement. "EPA's final action brings an end to unsafe methylene chloride practices and implements the strongest worker protections possible for the few remaining industrial uses, ensuring no one in this country is put in harm's way by this dangerous chemical."

The sweeping restrictions come a year after the EPA proposed the ban, citing the known and potentially deadly health risks of methylene chloride, which is also used to make pharmaceuticals and refrigerants. It also follows the EPA's move earlier this month to limit so-called "forever chemicals" in tap water."

https://news.yahoo.com/u-bans-most-uses-paint-185621034.html
Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Yes.

[*] posted on 1-5-2024 at 06:49

What about other products? I’ve never seen dichloromethane paint stripper in the last six years, but I did just discover that anti-spatter welding spray is mostly DCM. It’s pretty cheap and the only source I have for DCM short of buying liters from chemical companies.

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.
charley1957
Hazard to Others

Mood: Extracted

[*] posted on 1-5-2024 at 07:44

As of this morning, May 1, you can still get it from Amazon, at least two sellers. Also Sciencecompany.com. Better get it before day’s end!

[Edited on May05-1-2024 by charley1957]

You can’t claim you drank all day if you didn’t start early in the morning.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-5-2024 at 10:15

If anyone is ever in NC, I might know a guy who can get some for you...
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 1-5-2024 at 20:26

I thought it was already banned several years ago

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Yes.

[*] posted on 1-5-2024 at 22:15

Not here in the US. About six years ago though it was removed from most products. As Dr. Bob stated, it was a voluntary removal from stores prompted by an investigation into the numerous deaths that had resulted from it.

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-5-2024 at 07:24

It will still be allowed for some professional things and products and a few niche areas, but hard to buy OTC.

If if wasn't so hard to ship I would be happy to sell it, but its a nightmare to ship now.

I remember using it almost 40 years ago commonly for paint stripping, my chemist friend Ed used to sell it pure as well as a mixture specially designed for stripping paint, mixed with methanol, thickeners, and a few other solvents. Using a mix of mineral spirits (or toluene or most any hydrocarbon) and DCM works well as the DCM softens the paint, and then evaporates quickly, but the other solvents don't evaporate as fast, so the paint does not dry back out as you work.

Go To Top