Sciencemadness Discussion Board

too cautious?

Db33 - 4-4-2017 at 06:33

So i have a bottle thats very tightly sealed, it has Sodium Triacetoxyborohydride which is air-water sensitive and is stored in this bottle under an Argon atmosphere. Now the question is.... it came like this but the bottle is inside a plastic bag. If i take it out of the plastic bag is that okay?

CharlieA - 4-4-2017 at 17:28

Well, not to be a smart-alec (which I have been known to be, at times), but if you don't take it out of the bag, how will you be able to use it. Is the bottle sealed with a septum, so that a syringe could be used to remove some STAB for your purpose? Wikipedia is not much help here, at least not to me. Could you remove the bottle from the bag, take out what you need, and return it to the bag, squeeze out the air, and reseal it? Or may get one of those bags used to store things like food in, that can be evacuated. This is just some stream-of-consciousness musing about your question, so please take it with a grain of salt!:D

Fantasma4500 - 5-4-2017 at 10:04

i would suggest filling up the container with butane as its quite heavy, it should supposedly not react
butane also requires a lot of oxygen to actually combust, play around with it and you should quickly grow bored of it

Tsjerk - 5-4-2017 at 21:34

STAB is not that sensitive. For storage it should definitely be stored dry, but during a reaction the layer of solvent vapour should be enough to keep moisture out. Maybe put some CaCl2 in the bag for storage.