Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Funny looking vials?

numos - 23-2-2014 at 17:21

I was buying some bottles and noticed an item called "injection vials". From the thumbnail, they looked like ordinary little vials, and it was $3 for a pack of 30, so why not? When they arrived I was completely stumped for what purpose they could be used for. Anyone know what they are used for, and maybe a more specific name for them?

I've added a picture, yes the bottom is open and the pencil is inside the vial, and there is an inverted cone attached to the base of the opening from the top.

ampule.jpg - 37kB

bfesser - 23-2-2014 at 17:54

They're reduced volume while retaining a conic bottom for autosamplers. The top lip is designed for a septa to be crimped on with an aluminium sleeve.

Dr.Bob - 23-2-2014 at 18:25

I have never seen one quite that small, but yes they are ultra small volume auto-sampler vials for an HPLC or GC system. The normal sized ones are 2ml, and have bottoms. I have seen inserts for those that hold 200 or 100 ul, but that looks like one for about 20 ul.

numos - 23-2-2014 at 22:52

Ah, sweet! Well now I know what they are even though it is unlikely I can ever use them for anything. Maybe as a desk decor?