Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Easy way of distinguishing Na2SeO4 and Na2SeO3?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 9-9-2007 at 22:41
Easy way of distinguishing Na2SeO4 and Na2SeO3?

I have some sodium selenite and sodium selenate (at least, that is how they were sold to me). Both chemicals certainly contain selenium. A solution of these in HCl is very easily reduced to red elemental selenium.

I have tried many different ways to see any difference:
- both give a green precipitate with CuSO4-solution
- both reduce KMnO4 to some green solution
- both form a red complex of SeBr6(2-) with HBr-solution, and on heating this decomposes, giving Br2.

The only difference I see is when I add the solids to concentrated HCl. With the selenite, the liquid remains colorless (and solid NaCl forms at the bottom). With the selenate, the liquid becomes light green. But, no smell of chlorine appears.

I'm stuck with this now. I really suspect that the seller sent me two batches of sodium selenite. The powders, however, also are slightly different. The sodium selenite is a purely white powder. The supposed to be sodium selenate has a light beige color.

Is there a test, which clearly distinguishes between selenate and selenite ion?

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 00:58

have you tried it with Ascorbic acid (vit C)?

this may be an interesting read: "One problem with sodium selenITE is that you can't take it when you take vitamin C, zinc, copper, and other minerals because it combines or interacts in a manner such that the selenium becomes useless. Sodium selenATE, however, doesn't combine readily with minerals and doesn't react with vitamin C! "

taken from: http://www.nutri.com/wn/sel.html

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-9-2007 at 02:52

From Sidgwick's Chemical Elements

Quote:
...even dilute selenic acid will oxidize hydriodic acid quantitatively, so that the reaction may be used for its analysis, and will oxidize hydrobromic acid fairly easily; while concentrated selenic acid will oxidize hydrochloric acid, so that a mixture of the two acids behaves like aqua regia...

Also see
http://books.google.com/books?id=g98JAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA383&a...
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 13-9-2007 at 01:31

@not_important: Nice link and nice book. I downloaded it. It did not provide me with the info I want, but it is interesting to read anyways.

@YT2095: The link about nitrition value of selenate seems a commercial link to me with little scientific value. I did the test with addition of ascorbic acid to a solution of sodium selenite and to a solution of sodium selenate. Both solutions are reduced quickly to elemental selenium, and this is what I expected to happen.

I also have done tests with very dilute acidified bromide solutions. Both with the selenite and selenate, nothing happens. The solution remains colorless and no bromine is formed with the selenate.

Finally, I did a test with adding cerium(IV)sulfate in 2M H2SO4 to solutions of Na2SeO3 and Na2SeO4. In both cases I obtained a bright yellow flocculent precipitate.

Altogether, I'm inclined more and more to think that the seller simply sold me two times Na2SeO3, the one sample being purer than the other. The only differences I've found so far is that the supposed to be Na2SeO4 gives a light green solution with concentrated HCl and the supposed to be Na2SeO4 is light beige instead of white. These differences probably are due to some slight impurity. I did not pay very much for these chemicals (EUR 9 per chemical, free shipping), but still, it is not good if a seller sells chemicals and these in reality are different ones (with the same seller I also had, that I purchased 250 grams of Ba(NO3)2, and I received instead 250 grams of KBrO3, but labeled as Ba(NO3)2 :o).

kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-9-2007 at 14:00

Solubility in H2O?
Na2SeO3 89.8g/100g
Na2SeO4 58.5g/100g
(25 deg)
Use 1g H2O (for example) and add 0,5g - at this moment it should be clear solution - then add 0,2g ... :)
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-9-2007 at 06:04

Woelen,
pages 385 - 390 in the book describe conditions in which SeO4(-2) will convert chloride or bromide to the free halogen, while SeO3(-2) will not. While the actual procedure is run on a large scale it should be possible to perform it on a small scale and simply estimate the amount of halogen released to determine the approximate amount of selenate present.
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 14-9-2007 at 06:32

I tried this test with the bromide, but no bromine is formed at all, not under any condition, except in concentrated (40+ %) HBr and heating. But in the latter case, bromine is formed with the selenite as well. Hence my conclusion that the seller made a mistake and has sent me two jars with sodium selenite (or I made some mistakes, performing the procedure in a wrong way). But I'm getting more and more confident that the seller made a mistake. I will contact him about this.

Go To Top