Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Morland's Salt and Guanidinium formation
fluorescence
Hazard to Others

Mood: So cold outside

[*] posted on 31-8-2016 at 00:24
Morland's Salt and Guanidinium formation

Hey Guys,

I need this explanation for a youtube video but I am pretty much stuck. I tried making Reinecke's salt by fusing Ammoniumthiocyanate and Ammoniumdichromate together. According to literature Reinecke's Salt forms which is [NH4][Cr(SCN)4(NH3)2] bur also so called Morland's salt which is the same compound but with a Guanidinium as counterion.

Now two questions arise. What is the redox-partner to reduce the Cr(VI) to Cr(III) and how the heck can a Guanidinium just form out of nowhere ?

Usually for Ammoniumdichromate the Cr(VI) and the N(-III) react to form N2 and Cr(III) but in this case the Oxygen remain as water or Cr2O3 and here we have to get rid of them. So I thought of a redox reaction between Oxide and Cr(VI) but this seems kinda odd....

For the Guanidinium formation I thought of treating the Ammonia for a real neutral Ammonia for a second. Maybe due to the hot temperature it might decompose like many Ammonium salts do to form some Ammonia. Then the Ammonia could attack the slightly positive carbon in thiocyanate, the tripple bond to the N is dissolved forming a [NH4][S-C(NH3)=N] which quickly shifts the proton to form [NH4][S-C(NH2)=NH] and then another Ammonia attacks forming a [NH4S]- that could find another Ammonium somewhere or an extra proton to make it neutral again and the final product which is protonated now.

I guess something like this could theoretically happen if we leave all the extra protantions and deprotonations inbetween out.

But I am still missing a redox-partner as neither the Nitrogen, nor the Sulfur or the Carbon change in their oxidation states during that reaction....

Any suggestions or ideas? It's hard to find anything on the topic. I found the old papers where both were discovered but no explanation why they formed.

Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-9-2016 at 12:15

Hi Fluorescence. The original method of producing guanidine as its thiocyanate salt was simply to heat ammonium thiocyanate at a higher temperature and for a longer period than that used to produce thiourea. The mechanism is not clear to me but the replacement of the enolized -SH group by ammonia with the liberation of H2S is probably the effective reaction. Morland's salt is simply the guanidinium salt of the tetrathiocyanatodiaminochromate III. I have made the ammonium salt by the process you describe and it is fairly rapid giving little time for the formation of much guanidine. The excess of ammonia in the reaction mixture or possibly the theoretical production of hydrogen sulphide during guanidine formation act as the reducing agent for the Cr VI.

From your statement that: "neither the nitrogen nor the sulphur or the carbon change their oxidation state..." I am forced to ask:- how do you know, did you test the reaction mixture for other valencies of these elements? The oxidation of ammonia tends to give nitrogen; did you measure the nitrogen volume evolved?
fluorescence
Hazard to Others

Mood: So cold outside

[*] posted on 2-9-2016 at 08:49

I was referring to the elements found in the reactants and products. If a gas is evolved I didnt look for that I was focused on finding a suitable redox partner within the known compounds. But to be honest I didn't take the time to check if anything is missing from A to B. With a proper mechanism this would be easier as it doesnt seem to be important whether Potassium Dichromate or Ammonium Dichromate is used there could be some spare Ammonia as well which doesn't appear in the end because it's oxidized for example.

Go To Top