Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Castner Process
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 30-3-2016 at 17:41
Castner Process

Though the castner process has been successfully carried out in a stainless steel crucible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ21jQiOv2E

The problem is that, as I've tried it, the molten NaOH appears to react with the stainless steel to form an iron compound gunk, which stains the NaOH red and creates bubbling in the process when it gets above melting temperature. And I don't like how this might affect the purity of the resulting sodium created at the cathode. Another difficulty of using a metal container is that if the electrodes touch the walls, it will cause a short circuit and destroy your power supply.

Alternate container ideas:
WOOD: Get a wood bowl and heat until it becomes inert black charcoal, which can even act as a crucible for molten copper. As a bonus, you don't need to worry about short circuiting caused by electrodes touching the container walls.

COPPER: Copper is relatively inert and cheap, so I don't expect it to react with the molten NaOH. But you'll still have to suspend the electrodes in solution, and don't let them lean against the container.

[Edited on 31-3-2016 by Cou]

[Edit] Fixed obnoxiously formatted thread title

[Edited on 3-31-2016 by zts16]

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 30-3-2016 at 17:44

Funnily enough, this same thing happened years ago when I tried to electrolyze molten NaCl with copper wires. The red formed around the copper, so I'm not sure if iron has anything to do with it.

Also, to avoid or at least partially solve the issue of electrodes touching the crucible walls, you can just make the crucible one of the electrodes.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2016 at 17:52

How did you get the temperatures required to melt NaCl? I imagine you would need a coal furnace powered with an air compressor to reach those temps.

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 30-3-2016 at 17:58

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  
How did you get the temperatures required to melt NaCl? I imagine you would need a coal furnace powered with an air compressor to reach those temps.

...A blowtorch.

Needless to say, it only partially worked. Especially because I had to hold the blowtorch, and the wires, and the 9V battery. The NaCl did melt, though.

Don't judge, I was 13 years old.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 30-3-2016 at 18:29

Remember Cou, there is but a narrow range that a Castner cell can run at, too hot and the sodium formed reacts back with the melt, I think the range is only ~50C or so but you could probably find the value somewhere around here. Also note that the original material of construction for these cells is just iron. I don't know if I would consider bubbling under these conditions (since you're making a gas at both the anode and cathode) indicative of reaction with the material of construction, and although you are getting color that does not necessaritly mean you are making significant quantities of anything harmful (it doesn't take much of some compounds to impart a strong color). What's your electrode materials? Note that electrolysis of molten KOH with iron electodes produces ferrates.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2016 at 14:46

Here is what happened when I tried melting NaOH in a stainless steel dish:

Iz4Ueia.jpg - 370kB

After the initial water boiled off (which deposited the light brown slag at the sides), the molten NaOH appears to have corroded the stainless steel, turning red with some iron compound while leaving the stainless steel bottom stained black. It also emitted an unknown noxious gas that irritated my throat to the point of coughing. This even happened in a non-rusted container, so it's not just iron oxide leaching into the molten NaOH.

Needless to say, I don't think this is an ideal container for making sodium.

EDIT: I tried this again in a cleaner stainless steel container, still turned red to a lesser degree, still made noxious gas, but I also saw some green forming too: chromium compounds, something to not play around with.

[Edited on 31-3-2016 by Cou]

Go To Top