Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Happy birthday maestro !
crystal grower
Hazard to Others

Mood: Puzzled

smile.gif posted on 8-2-2016 at 08:36
Happy birthday maestro !

One of the biggest names of chemistry Dmitri Ivanovich Mendeleev would be today 8th February 2016 celebrating his 182nd birthday if he was still alive and I think this is good opportunity to tell you something about his life.

Mendeleev was born in the village of Verkhnie Aremzyani, near Tobolsk in Siberia. His parents were Ivan Pavlovich Mendeleev and Maria Dmitrievna Mendeleeva. He has many siblings and he was thought to be youngest of them.

Mendeleev attended the Gymnasium in Tobolsk.
In 1849, his mother took Mendeleev across the entire state of Russia from Siberia to Moscow with the aim of getting Mendeleev a higher education. The university in Moscow did not accept him. After that Mendeleev entered the Main Pedagogical Institute in 1850. After graduation, he contracted tuberculosis, causing him to move to the Crimean Peninsula on the northern coast of the Black Sea in 1855. While there he became a science master of the Simferopol gymnasium №1. In 1857, he returned to Saint Petersburg with fully restored health.

He became engaged to Feozva Nikitichna Leshcheva, and they married on 27 April 1862 at Nikolaev Engineering Institute's church in Saint Petersburg. Mendeleev became a professor at the Saint Petersburg Technological Institute and later at Saint Petersburg State University.

After becoming a teacher, Mendeleev wrote the definitive textbook of his time: Principles of Chemistry (two volumes, 1868–1870). As he attempted to classify the elements according to their chemical properties, he noticed patterns that led him to postulate his periodic table; he claimed to have envisioned the complete arrangement of the elements in a dream:
"I saw in a dream a table where all elements fell into place as required. Awakening, I immediately wrote it down on a piece of paper, only in one place did a correction later seem necessary."

He formulated the Periodic Law, created a farsighted version of the periodic table of elements, and used it to correct the properties of some already discovered elements and also to predict the properties of eight elements yet to be discovered. These were his greatest achievements.
Mendeleev died in 2nd February in Petersburg.
Honor his memory.

(NOTE: This is only small part of his life and I wanted to say the most important things. I know this would probably be in whimsy but I wanted to everyone can see it.)

[Edited on 8-2-2016 by crystal grower]

Elements collected:31/92
Last acquired: Co
Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page
Also make sure to check out my and hegi's website :) :
http://pieceofscience.com
Thanks.
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-2-2016 at 08:48

Thanks for the info!
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 8-2-2016 at 08:57

He must have been precocious for his mother to attempt entering him at a university at age 15.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Maker
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-2-2016 at 12:36

Happy birthday sir :)

I wonder what his correction was.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 8-2-2016 at 15:04

Quote: Originally posted by Maker  
Happy birthday sir :)

I wonder what his correction was.

I believe it was Iodine / Tellurium. Te has more mass than I and so ordering the elements by mass has the two reversed. Mendeleev actually thought there had been an error in measuring the atomic masses and believed that a revision would show I to be heavier than Te. Of course that never happened. But in any case, Mendeleev correctly placed iodine among the halogens and tellurium among the chalcogens.

Go To Top