Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Copper(II) Phthalate
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 16-12-2015 at 18:31
Copper(II) Phthalate

It's not often I have a compound that a good deal of users don't. I realized I had some KHP, potassium hydrogen phthalate, often used as a primary standard in titration (I had it for this in a micro-chem kit, about 5g).

This compound is pretty soluble in water, and I added copper sulfate solution to some which had partially dissolved in water, and after ~2 hours I got a crystalline precipitate, slightly more blue than typical copper(II) sulfate. Given the fact that a Google of copper phthalate gives results (eg. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19382760), it seems copper(II) phthalate compound exists. My first assumption was that (using P for phthalate) CuP, K2SO4, and H2P were produced, and possibly some potassium double salt of the copper compound.

I plan on doing the same thing in a more controlled environment tomorrow.

Does this product seem reasonable? Should I neutralize the Phthalate acid-salt first in my attempt tomorrow? Or should I use basic copper(II) carbonate instead of a soluble salt?

Just trying to get a collectable, known-composition phthalate-copper compound. Any help/suggestions much appreciated.

[Edited on 12-17-2015 by The Volatile Chemist]

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 16-12-2015 at 21:16

I'd stick with the KHP instead of trying to make K2P to add. If your solution is too basic, you'll get a basic copper(II) salt precipitating. You could buffer your solution with acetic acid/acetate, but you want to rely on the insolubility of the product to drive the reaction.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 30-12-2015 at 14:28

Thanks for the suggestion. I performed the procedure with 1.0g KHP and 0.7g copper(II) sulfate, though I totally forgot to check the solubility of phthalic acid (one of the expected products) and got a colorless crystalline solid before the 'CuP' crystallized as blue needles. Another member made note that his copper phthalate was very light blue, which didn't exactly match my observations.

Go To Top