Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Home method for alcohol in urine test.
kecskesajt
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-6-2015 at 05:13
Home method for alcohol in urine test.

Hi guys,
Can I make an alcohol test from OTC chemicals?It musnt be accurate but could detect if a person drank 500ml of beer in the past 3 hours.
I made Marquis reagent but I haven't found out wether it can detect alcohol or not.
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 21-6-2015 at 10:03

Marquis reagent will not work for this. It might light up for urea or something though...

I'm not sure if there is a colorimetric way to detect ethanol in urine. I think most urine methods use a different biological tracer. If you think about it, primary alcohols are not the most easy thing to form specific adducts or anything with. I did find this paper though,

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/00399140928...

macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 21-6-2015 at 11:10

There is not going to be a test to accurately detect 500ml of beer after three hours. The body will process that out in about 2 hours. It will be impossible to detect alcohol from the beer except to the extent that it has not yet left the bladder. Ie. if someone drinks 500ml of beer there will not be a reliably detectable amount in the blood after two hours. If the person goes to the bathroom between hour 2 and hour 3 they will remove the portion of alcohol that still exists in the bladder. Of course this assumes about 5% alcohol in the beer. A breathalyzer is going to work more reliably. There is a reason they do not use urinalysis for DWIs. There are breathalyzer tubes sold on the internet. They generally work by oxidizing the alcohol in the breath and a color change in the oxidizing agent. Note that diabetics may give false positives if their blood sugar is high.
kecskesajt
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-6-2015 at 22:24

Well,thanks for the anwers,Its easier to buy a testpaper in pharmacy.

Go To Top