Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can NaOH dry out all kinds of the Rare earth nitate salts?
bolbol
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-2-2015 at 00:23
Can NaOH dry out all kinds of the Rare earth nitate salts?

I want to go ahead and produce like 10 grams of nitrates of each rare earth using the element itself and nitric acid, I don't think I can evaporate the water solution with heat because I'm not sure at what degree they decompose so I thought of drying them in a bag along with some NaOH and I just wanted to know if this would work for all the compounds or is it possible that some of them could hang on to water more... tightly lol. I'm not familiar much with hygroscopic compounds or the chemistry behind it and I only saw dysprosium ntirate and Europium Nitrate being dried with this method.
Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 15-2-2015 at 05:27

Why don't you try with CaO, CaCl2 or that type of salts? Bear in mind that the NaOH can already have some water inside which reduces its potential (especially if it is an old sample).

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-2-2015 at 05:30

Quote: Originally posted by bolbol  
I want to go ahead and produce like 10 grams of nitrates of each rare earth using the element itself and nitric acid, I don't think I can evaporate the water solution with heat because I'm not sure at what degree they decompose [...]

They will survive evaporative drying. These nitrates are very hygroscopic though.

[Edited on 15-2-2015 by blogfast25]

Go To Top