Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Covetics - A new class of material
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

Mood: High Resistance

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 11:36
Covetics - A new class of material

A while ago, a graduate student who works in material sciences told me about a new class of materials he referred to as Covetics. I was intrigued by the concept...bonding of carbon to various metals at the nano level such that they become one material. While the below description isn't exactly what you would call rigorous, it is descriptive.

From http://www.modernmetals.com/item/11389-a-new-material-is-bor...

Under the name Zovoz, Waverly, Ohio-based Third Millennium Materials LLC has unveiled silver covetic, one of the rarest materials on earth. Invented by Jason Shugart and Roger Scherer, Ph.D., silver covetic was birthed in a furnace environment where high temperatures (up to 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit) are stoked to fuel an electrochemical carbon reaction that bonds high concentrations of sp² and sp³ carbon to molten silver metal and other alloys. According to Chemistry.about.com, carbon is made on the insides of stars, is the chemical building block for all living things and appears in diamonds. “Our world essentially is a carbon world,” says Shugart.

Metallurgists have been attempting to incorporate carbon into metals for more than 100 years. These efforts have been limited to ferrous metals like steel and iron. “It’s never been possible to integrate carbon with precious metals,” Shugart says. “In recent years, carbon nanotube manufacturers have produced carbon mixtures in some metals. However, when tested, these mixtures separate under remelt. Silver covetic is the only known stable, nano carbon-metal material in existence*. It demonstrates the first true bonding of these elements because carbon has reacted with metal to become a permanent new material that does not separate when remelted.” He adds because covetics are carbon compounds that use different metals, potential users will have to gain an understanding of carbon and its effect on the properties and behavior of the material.

* A bit dated. Al and Cu versions exist. Probably others.

[Edited on 9-10-2014 by Dan Vizine]
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 12:45

I find work along this line to be very interesting. More like true exploration into new areas.

Attachment: US8349759B2.pdf (200kB)
This file has been downloaded 393 times

Attachment: US20090176090A1.pdf (443kB)
This file has been downloaded 361 times

Attachment: US20100035775A1.pdf (395kB)
This file has been downloaded 364 times

Attachment: US20100327233A1.pdf (327kB)
This file has been downloaded 362 times

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

Mood: High Resistance

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 13:28

OMG, it's so simple you can do it at home.

Thanks for the patents, I heard that they had obtained one or more. A Covetics website is under construction.

These days are truly the cusp of a great heyday for material scientists. All sorts of new and utterly amazing results will result from construction at the molecular level. This particular result (Covetics) is amazing in its simplicity, like making graphene with Scotch tape. I envy the material scientists right now.

[Edited on 9-10-2014 by Dan Vizine]
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 13:53

Yes there are others, I am too busy to track them down right now. Searching the patents referenced in one and following the references from the first references takes much time but yields vast amounts of useful data. I find this subject more interesting than virtually everything I am doing lately so no doubt I will be spending some hours on this. Here is 2 more on Al.

Attachment: US20090180919A1.pdf (67kB)
This file has been downloaded 335 times

Attachment: US7468088B1.pdf (73kB)
This file has been downloaded 352 times

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman

Go To Top