Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Precise Apparatus for experimenting with phase diagrams, pressures, triple points?
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 30-9-2014 at 14:16
Precise Apparatus for experimenting with phase diagrams, pressures, triple points?

What is the vacuum apparatus they use in those videos where they reach the triple point of a substance with pressure and temperature? I'd like to experiment with making phase diagrams for various substances, but I don't know where to start. I'm a bit of a chemistry noob here. What kind of equipment do I need? Are there any precise vacuum pumps that show the pressure?
Would also be cool if it could make higher pressures, like a reverse vacuum pump for experimenting with liquid CO2
This is the youtube video i'm talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEbMHmDhq2I

[Edited on 30-9-2014 by Cou]

smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 30-9-2014 at 17:39

You know I can't really delve in to the equipment requirements too much. It really depends on the range of pressures you want to explore, as well as the temperatures. Keep in mind too much heat pumped through a vacuum pump over time is no good. Keep in mind demanding pressures/temperatures increase the difficulty of that sort of thing.

Well to start you need a pressure gauge and an accurate/calibrated thermometer/thermocouple. Liquid CO2 eh? Hmm. Sounds like a good starting point because it is well studied so you could compare experimental results with literature. Wish I had more to say, but I think you have a lot of research to do yet :).

Dan Vizine
National Hazard

Mood: High Resistance

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 13:44

Do you have the skills and tools to put this together safely?

If you aren't a veteran crafter of sorts, you might rethink the dangers involved with high pressure experimentation.

However, if you feel you've got the prerequisites covered, you'll have no trouble getting this kind of info. from your favorite search engine.

Go To Top