Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: hcl/solvent solution
sprengel pump
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-9-2014 at 16:08
hcl/solvent solution

Will a desiccant remove the water from a solution of muriatic acid and a solvent such as diethyl ether or with water still be present?
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-9-2014 at 19:17

No. HCl solutions are about 37% HCl absolute tops. Thats 63% water. Dessicant can only be used to remove 1 or 2% water, so that wont work.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 12-9-2014 at 20:08

Quote: Originally posted by sprengel pump  
Will a desiccant remove the water from a solution of muriatic acid and a solvent such as diethyl ether or with water still be present?
Do you mean adding a desiccant to a mixture of HCl, water, and a solvent to leave only HCl dissolved in the dry solvent? If that is what you're doing, then you might be able to soak up a small amount of the water, but you'd need to use a lot of desiccant to do so. Also, HCl is considerably less soluble in ether than it is in water, so you won't be able to make as concentrated of a solution.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-9-2014 at 21:38

Generally speaking, if you remove all the water by adding a massive quantity of dessicant, you'll end up with HCl gas. Unless that's what you want, or your other solvent actually has a decent ability to hold HCl in solution itself, you probably don't want to do that. Alcohols/diols do seem to retain HCl pretty well, so for example if you added aqueous HCl to isopropyl alcohol, you could then add a substantial quantity of a drying agent like MgSO4 and be left with dry-ish HCl in IPA (I have done this). I have no idea about diethyl ether, however. It seems like it would depend on the temperature and the ratio of HCl to ether.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-9-2014 at 05:01

Quote: Originally posted by Oscilllator  
No. HCl solutions are about 37% HCl absolute tops. Thats 63% water. Dessicant can only be used to remove 1 or 2% water, so that wont work.

Thats not true. You can prepare approx 1M HCl in Et2O by using appropriate quantities of 37% HCl (aq) and Et2O, using MgSO4 to mop up the aqueous phase. Quite a lot is needed, but it works sufficiently well that theres a paper detailing it (something like JChemEd).
sprengel pump
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-9-2014 at 17:10

I figured the MgSO4 wasn't drying it out all the way.

Go To Top