Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Storing Chemicals
aYoungKing
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 13:17
Storing Chemicals

ok, so there is this guy i used to know who has chems exposed to temperature fluctuations

it dips below freezing for about 12 hours

what he is most worried about is his HCl freezing, expanding, breaking the glass and dumping everywhere. It is lab grade HCl, it's about 3/4s full and less than a gallon. Does anyone know the freezing point of HCl acid

he also has benzene, which he noticed was already frozen, does benzene expand like water?

also he has lots of ammonium salts that have had water leaked onto the cheap cardboard paper capsules that they came in

lots of anhydrous things have gotten wet. does a simple bake on low heat in the over or tucked under heating lamps do the trick on drying?

he made sure all his caps on the containers were cranked down as tight as he could make them, he will get electrical tape and put them on the threads next visit
Texium
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 13:47

Quote: Originally posted by aYoungKing  
ok, so there is this guy i used to know who has chems exposed to temperature fluctuations
First of all, if you're trying to do a "SWIM" thing, we don't do that here.
it dips below freezing for about 12 hours

what he is most worried about is his HCl freezing, expanding, breaking the glass and dumping everywhere. It is lab grade HCl, it's about 3/4s full and less than a gallon. Does anyone know the freezing point of HCl acid
Depends on the concentration. What is the concentration of it?
he also has benzene, which he noticed was already frozen, does benzene expand like water?
No, water is very unique in that regard. Very few compounds expand on freezing. Most do the opposite.
lots of anhydrous things have gotten wet. does a simple bake on low heat in the over or tucked under heating lamps do the trick on drying
Depends on what you're talking about. For some, that will work, but others will decompose when heated. What sort of anhydrous "things" are you referring to?

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
aYoungKing
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 13:57

35 - + % HCl

anhydrous things are

sodium sulfite

sodium carbonate

sodium bisulfite

sodium thiosulfate

NaOH, is already caked up inside the glass

KOH, already caked together inside the glass

magnesium

ferrous sulfide

calcium phosphate

lots of ammonium salts

mercuric chloride

sulfur, powder and lumps

iodine

many more things, will be posted after he visits the location
aYoungKing
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 14:06

sodium acetate

concentrated H2SO4

acetone

Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 16:01

The HCl won't freeze, unless you live in Antarctica during the winter.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt, before assuming he's a drug cook. The list of chemicals doesn't look very suspicious.

Still, unless he's actually talking about a friend, he should use "I".

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 23:00

@aYoungKing: Why use the "he" form? Your question is too specific and detailed for making me believe that you ask this question about someone else's set of chemicals. These chemicals are yours and please be clear and honest about that. On sciencemadness we have had quite a few (wannabe) drugs cooks who also were talking about "someone who is not me" and the use of this construct is frowned upon very much over here.

Your other post about replacement of phosphorus by some other chemical to make HI became suspicious because of the "not me" construct. If I simply asked a question on how to make HI, then probably most people will not frown upon it (especially if you have a decent posting history already), but combined with the "not me" construct and being a brand new member it certainly makes us think about drugs cookery.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 05:12

The "someone I used to know" template is as illogical as it is suspicious. If you "used to know them" but don't currently, why are you asking very precise questions on their behalf? If you're a drug cook, you'll likely be caught very quickly if this is how you operate.

xfusion44
Hazard to Others

Mood: Nostalgic

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 13:26

@OP

Freezing point for 38% HCl is -26°C, and a little bit less for 35% conc. If you will want to dry anhydrous substances, you will need to look up on wikipedia for boiling points or the decomposition temperature. You mustn't heat your compounds above boiling or decomposition point if you just want to dry them.

[Edited on 10-9-2014 by xfusion44]

Go To Top