Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electro-Oxidation of H2 to 2H
Electra
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-1-2014 at 19:35
Electro-Oxidation of H2 to 2H

Haven't been able to find much information on this outside of fuel cells. Fuel cells seem to utilize catalysts to speed up the oxidation of H2 into 2H+. In the context of this post I am assuming the usage of an external power supply with a regulated voltage/amperage setting. To be clear. This is the USE/SPENDING of electricity to oxidize the H2 molecule

I found this relevant paper.

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-1-84800-936-3...

All of the sources are related to fuel cells, though the paper above in the preview seems to imply that a catalytic electrode is used to speed up the oxidation by creating a greater difference in fuel cells, but is not required for the reaction to complete.

Is this a correct assumption? It seems as simple as the H2 gas adsorbing to the anode, an electron leaving the H2 by force of the applied voltage and entering into the electrical system to circulate, thus freeing up one, or possible two H+ ions in the solution.

Thoughts on this? Since this is electrolytically driven I would not think any catalyst be required to break the H2 bond. It would make sense that if the attraction of Electrons into the anode overrides the H2 bond then the electrons are going to leave automatically.

I feel like I am in need of some third party wisdom here. Is my thinking right? Wrong? Seems to make sense as I have typed up the possible simple mechanism here, but I just want to be sure.

[Edited on 11-1-2014 by Electra]

[Edited on 11-1-2014 by Electra]

Go To Top