Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Easy Filter Adapter
subsecret
Hazard to Others

Mood: Human Sadness - Julian Casablancas & the Voidz

[*] posted on 27-7-2013 at 13:02
Easy Filter Adapter

I decided to post some advice on making a filter adapter that fits between a filtration flask and a Buchner funnel.

Lowe's (and possibly Home Depot) provide various rubber stoppers in the hardware section. Most hardware isles have a row of wide drawers with miscellaneous project components. Among these assorted parts, you can find rubber stoppers in several sizes. These are handy on their own, but they can be turned into a cheap, effective filter adapter. Just cut (I used a pocket knife) out the core of the stopper so that your Buchner funnel can fit through. They come in several sizes, so measure your flask before buying.

I hope this helps some other beginners, as purpose-made filter adapters can be expensive and may not work well. If you're on a tight budget and can't afford the stoppers, you can fold duct tape into a square and cut a hole in the middle. You will have to push on the top of the funnel, but it works.

Hope this helps.

Fear is what you get when caution wasn't enough.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-7-2013 at 14:22

The blue sticky stuff sold in art stores is useful for sealing the areas between your stopper and funnel, if required. I use this when I need to filter with a sintered glass funnel that doesn't quite fit the hole in the stopper. It comes off easy and is reuseable.

Go To Top