Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Glassware post!
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 12:02
Glassware post!

WARNING: Picture-intensive post.

Just went to an estate sale in Shoreline, turns out the guy worked for NOAA since its inception and had a ton of glassware!

Everything! From left to right: Bunsen burner, some tube-thing, Liebig condenser (14/20 joints), addition funnel, 14/20 stopper and 14/20 - 10/18 adapter (I thought it was a stopper - oh well), drying tube, a few 24/40 RBFs in various sizes, and a 24/40 - 14/20 Kjehldahl bulb above them. There's also a ceramic crucible (that tan thing).

Oddly enough, one of the flasks has a pouring lip - did the guy add this himself? It mentioned he was a glassblower...

Closeup of the inside of the Kjehldahl bulb, with the holes. I think the point of this thing is to only let lighter gases distill over (a bit like a fractionating column?)...

A simple crucible - this will come in handy for drying stuff. Note the holes - those are for powder sifting, I think.

A closeup of the adapter (right) and the stopper (left).

Can someone remind me what this thing does? I think it's for leading gases into liquids (either for drying or dissolving), but I'm not quite sure.

All of this stuff was bought for bargain prices - nothing in this lot cost anything more than $5 individually. This was due to both low prices and because it was the last day, everything was half-price on top of that. Whole thing cost $21.50 - definitely worth the drive!

I'd go back and see if I could nab some more, but sadly, the sale ends today.

[Edited on 9-6-2013 by elementcollector1]

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
DutchChemistryBox
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 12:07

The glassware on the last picture is indeed for leading gases into liquids. At least, that is what i think. I think it is a cold trap http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_trap

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 13:22

It is a trap for liquids in a vacuum line to protect a pump. You cool the trap in dry ice or LN2 to freeze out vapors.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 13:40

Makes sense. Anyone know what that crucible can take? I've seen casserole crucibles break from the heat of magnesium burning, and I've seen very similar crucibles at the high school take a Bunsen burner without cracking, so I'm not sure.

phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 13:48

Nice find. Worth the drive allright.

1. I think there is also a Liebig condenser on the table between the cold trap (also known as a 'cold finger') and the addition funnel that you don't mention in the caption.

2. The purpose of the Kjehldahl bulb is not so much as a fractionating column, but rather as a splash head. It prevents splashes from a boiling liquid (especially when it bumps) carrying over into the next stage (usually a condenser).

[Edited on 9-6-2013 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
elementcollector1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 14:02

Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  
Nice find. Worth the drive allright.

1. I think there is also a Liebig condenser on the table between the cold trap (also known as a 'cold finger') and the addition funnel that you don't mention in the caption.

2. The purpose of the Kjehldahl bulb is not so much as a fractionating column, but rather as a splash head. It prevents splashes from a boiling liquid (especially when it bumps) carrying over into the next stage (usually a condenser).

[Edited on 9-6-2013 by phlogiston]

1.Curses, thought I got that one. Added it now.
2. Well, either way works. I do wish I picked up a fractionating column, but they were either gone before I got there or never there at all.

I wonder if that crucible is used to make fine powders after drying?

[Edited on 9-6-2013 by elementcollector1]

phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 15:15

I believe the crucible is what is called a Gooch crucible. It is used to dry or ash a substance after filtering.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
elementcollector1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 15:27

Exactly what I need, then!

Go To Top