Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chloro(dimethyl sulfide)gold (I) and Gold
Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 30-10-2012 at 14:11
Chloro(dimethyl sulfide)gold (I) and Gold

When this compound is exposed to light or air (or both) it decomposes to elemental gold. Now, is there some way to make it react back to another gold (I) compound, for example bromide or chloride?

Moreover, would it be possible to catalyze the reaction that converts this into gold (not for any economical purposes, and furthermore, I doubt anyone could even make profit of it).

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-10-2012 at 14:36

Quote: Originally posted by Eddygp  
Moreover, would it be possible to catalyze the reaction that converts this into gold (not for any economical purposes, and furthermore, I doubt anyone could even make profit of it).

The production of elemental gold from AuCl compounds goes by disproportion. 3AuCl = 2Au + AuCl3

To convert it back... Not easy, dissolve it in aqua regia and turn back the AuCl3 with ligands.

P.S.: that catalyst what you have mentioned is an awesome starting material for organogold catalysis what is really popular nowdays. The Synlett what was published in 2012 January had a great collection of gold catalysis articles (7 articles). If I would have that stuff I would try to make some nice catalyst from it and try a few reaction(:

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."

Go To Top