Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Suggestion for keeping oil dry?
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 15-7-2012 at 14:34
Suggestion for keeping oil dry?

I am making a high voltage variable capacitor by submerging a variable air-spaced capacitor in oil, which will both increase the capacitance 2 fold and increase the breakdown voltage at least four fold. Oil will be either paraffin or silicone - haven't decided which yet.

While the container will be well enclosed there is still some possibility of moisture absorption by the oil, which I'd like to avoid. So I want to include a drying agent in the container to maintain the oil in a reasonably dry state. The drying agent must not alter the oil or be even slightly soluble in the oil, as I don't want the dielectric properties to change.

Can anyone suggest a suitable agent? I have silica gel and Bentonite available, but I'm unsure if these would affect paraffin or silicone oil.

[Edited on 15-7-2012 by Twospoons]

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-7-2012 at 15:05

Melt some metallic sodium or potassium in paraffin oil, stir it for a while and let it cool down.

This method for silicone oil should be okay also, but I'm not sure, because a friend made NaK alloy in it and it reacted with the silicone oil, while it shouldn't....

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
Dave Angel
Hazard to Others

Mood: 0 K

[*] posted on 15-7-2012 at 15:07

I'd wager anhydrous magnesium sulphate would have limited (if any) solubility / reactivity in oil, but haven't been able to pull up anything concrete with a cursory google...

Go on - what's the project? :)
Twospoons
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-7-2012 at 15:12

Vacuum tube Tesla coil :D
The variable cap is so I can easily tune the primary side oscillator into resonance with the secondary coil.

Dave Angel
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-7-2012 at 15:16

Lovely!

Always had a Tesla Coil on my 'to do one day' projects list - good luck with it.

Assuming you've seen videos of them being made to play music...? :)
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 15-7-2012 at 15:30

Molecular sieves. No ions to screw up the conductivity.

Please keep us posted on your project. I've always wanted to do a Tesla coil or something similar, but I'm useless with electronics, so I'm shying away from HV until I've got the lower voltages sorted out.

[Edited on 15-7-2012 by Lambda-Eyde]

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Twospoons
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-7-2012 at 17:56

I've seen the musical ones. Thats a feature thats going to have to be some way down the track. I just want big arcs to start with. Its been on my to-do list for ages too - was bored a few weeks back so decided to kick this one off by investing in a massive Soviet pentode (GU81M).
Molecular sieves - which type would you recommend? I've never used them before. I have access to a humidity controlled oven, so drying them should be no problem.
On the reactive metal front, a strip of lithium from a coin cell would be easier to obtain than sodium, for me.

Dave Angel
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-7-2012 at 11:29

Good call on the molecular sieves Lambda; 3A or 4A should be fine for water removal. Hope you can get hold of them where you are - I'm sure if you were at a loss then one of us with some stashed away might be able to dig some out... :)

With regards to the reactive metal, do you not risk putting ions into solution / some kind of suspension that way - i.e., hydroxide formation?

Look forward to seeing how it turns out!
m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-7-2012 at 14:40

Lithium will float on oil. I've been using sodium-potassium (NaK) alloy for a while now with good success to keep my oil dry. I don't know the exact percentage of potassium in the alloy but it's probably no more than 10% by weight - maybe less. As time passes, a dark sludge-like layer has built up on the bottoms of the containers. In my case it doesn't interfere with what I use the oil for so no biggie.

I can't attest to silicone oil nor molecular sieves though. The sieves seem like an even better option if they sink in the oil and don't disintegrate.

Good luck with your TC. I'm really surprised no one has posted nice arc pics in the pretty pictures thread.. Ahem :D

Tank

Chemical CURIOSITY KILLED THE CATalyst.
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-7-2012 at 15:43

you should check out myst32YT's vid on sodium wire for keeping things dry. he uses an extruder

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
Twospoons
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-7-2012 at 20:44

I've settled on silicone oil, as it isn't flammable and seems to be more compatible with the polypropylene container I'm going to use.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I promise I'll post something when its all running.

Go To Top