Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: dissolved gasses in H2O2
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 01:44
dissolved gasses in H2O2

i was just sitting here pondering some useless things and in a convoluted and involved conversation with myself i came to wonder about a SHTF scenario. i realize that home chemistry experimentation would be of a lesser importance than basic survival but i thought what would people do for some of their more perishable items.

hydrogen peroxide comes to mind as a very important chemical in both chemical synthesis and in wound disinfection and a variety of other things. unfortunately, H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub> degrades over time under all but ideal storage conditions which may not be available in the worst situations. so i thought what about storing a sizable amount of sodium percarbonate? in aqueous solution it releases H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub> and CO<sub>2</sub>.

my question is: does CO<sub>2</sub> dissolve into H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub> or would it stay in the water? if the latter is the case, no problem just concentrate the peroxide by fractional crystallization (no prob for me i have both gas genny and a manual crank genny to charge batteries and run inverters). if the former is the case would it interfere with syntheses?
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 02:27

I would not use H2O2 for disinfecting in this scenario. I keep with me a tiny solar panel connected to battery in a 2 by 2.5 inch by 1/2 high plastic casing with some very unreactive alligator clip, The battery regulate the voltage and give a good amperage when the solar cell have been lets in sun for a few hour to charge the battery, than make sure you use it under the sun to give more power (can give 1.2 amp 3.5V on these condition). I would pyrolise some wood to use as the anode/cathode in diluted salt solution to get ''bleach''. Diluted hypochlorite give a good disinfecting agent and non toxic. I actually tried this with all my time on a weekend and in one day 100ml could be converted on reasonable conc. hypochlorite (with a lot of carbon). It is funny that with salt I can make hypochlorite/chlorate in the wild. The only problem would be to find salt.

I never asked for this.

Go To Top