Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: High oxidation state metal salt by chlorate based oxidation
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 2-7-2012 at 06:12
High oxidation state metal salt by chlorate based oxidation

It is know that molten chlorate will oxidize chromium trioxide to potassium chromate/dichromate making chlorine and oxygen (Paper gived on demand). So, I tough that adding fuel to use the excess oxygen could make a self sustaining reaction. I figured out this equation a few weeks ago:

96 KClO3 + 24 Cr2O3 + 7 C12H22O11 = 48 Cl2 + 84 CO2 + 77 H2O + 48 K2CrO4

I balanced the equation using no chlorine for the oxidation of the sucrose.

Molar amount of each reactant was made, grinded in the mortar and lighted. The mixture burned like normal sugar/chlorate mixture, and a organge slag was made. On cooling the slag turned yellow and it was assumed that it was chromate. Subsequent test prouved good purity. No carbon/chromium trioxide was trapped in the chromate/dichromate. Purification was done to give a good purity product suitable for synthesis purpose.

Manganate have been made from similar procedure adding hydroxide to the mixture since manganese catalyse the decomposition of chlorate so hydroxide is nessecery to ''trap'' the manganate.

Few day ago I tried the same thing but in objective to make plumbate salt of potassium. I did not have lead II oxide on hand so I used lead IV oxide instead. I make a 1g test batch without weighing the reactant and grind it and lighted it on a steel plate, inplace of burning slowly like other mixture I have made before a near explosion combustion occured, a very strong pop sound was made and a flash and when I started to see well again a yellow cloud(lead II oxide) was disipating few meter from me.

Now from catalyst liker chemist point of view I thing the lead catalysed somewhat the decomposition of sugar and of chlorate making a very rapid combustion, But what do you thing about this?

This thread is intended for procedure /experimental/ result about similar synthesis of high oxidation state metal using chlorate.

The procedure given for chromate is free of right ;) so you can try and report your result!

Thanks!!!

[Edited on 2-7-2012 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.

Go To Top