Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ether Condenser..Opinions?
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-4-2012 at 19:24
Ether Condenser..Opinions?

After searching the threads here and a less than successful search engine bout I ask your opinions. I am replacing some parts and after seeing many different types I am asking what do you recommend?Not just ether but any solvent with a ( relatively)low boiling point.. Would a 500mm Liebig suffice or do I really need something like a jacketed reflux condenser? any opinions are greatly appreciated as I am not sure myself.
( a while back I ran across a comment that mentioned which type is best to use for a given task but I can't find it...)
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 14-4-2012 at 02:30

IMO my 50cm liebig has always seemed to be sufficient, as long as it it cooled adequately with ice water. However, another condenser, such as a coiled Friedrich, for example, would be nice if I could afford one just to make doubly sure that nothing escapes. If your budget permits, then get both a Liebig and one of those 'Ether condensers'. I would use the Liebig for most work, being less prone to breakages, but for low boiling solvents choose the latter. However, if you can only get one, get the Ether condenser . . .while much more delicate in usage and more prone to breaking, it can be used with low-boiling or higher-boiling stuff with careful use. Of course, for anything boiling above 150*C or even 200*C, you should definitely consider getting an air condenser to help reduce the possibility of breakage caused by thermal stress.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2012 at 03:58

The best example for distilling any kind of solvent is the rotavap.

It condenses down a lot solvents with relative low or high boiling point. The old, better one rotavaps are equipped with a condenser, similar to a dimroth style. It has a really high cooling surface compared to a liebig style.

When we used to distill some abs. THF, ether, DCM we usually used reflux condenser, a dimroth, it was enough for it.

But with small amounts of distillate, (10-250-500cm3) it is usually enough to use a longer liebig or a smaller one reflux condenser.

With higher amounts (2,5litres) of solvent distilled (dicloroethane) we used a 30cm dimroth and it was enough.

But remember, the most important is not the style of the condenser, it is the temperature and the speed of the water cooling in it.
With "hot" water circulating in the best condenser ever won't stop anything, but if really cool water circulating fast in a short liebig could be more succesful with the previous example.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-4-2012 at 09:43

Quote: Originally posted by kristofvagyok  
The best example for distilling any kind of solvent is the rotavap.

It condenses down a lot solvents with relative low or high boiling point. The old, better one rotavaps are equipped with a condenser, similar to a dimroth style. It has a really high cooling surface compared to a liebig style.

When we used to distill some abs. THF, ether, DCM we usually used reflux condenser, a dimroth, it was enough for it.

But with small amounts of distillate, (10-250-500cm3) it is usually enough to use a longer liebig or a smaller one reflux condenser.

With higher amounts (2,5litres) of solvent distilled (dicloroethane) we used a 30cm dimroth and it was enough.

But remember, the most important is not the style of the condenser, it is the temperature and the speed of the water cooling in it.
With "hot" water circulating in the best condenser ever won't stop anything, but if really cool water circulating fast in a short liebig could be more succesful with the previous example.
You know..you are absolutely right. That would explain my mentor's comments as well. I thank ye heartily!

Go To Top