Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Coloration / Staining
GreenD
National Hazard

Mood: Not really high anymore

[*] posted on 16-1-2012 at 13:32
Coloration / Staining

HELLO!

I want a comprehensive list of all color changing solutions for identification of various compounds. It would help if these were biologically friendly!

1. In the presence of air Indoxyl oxidizes and dimerizes to form indigo. [Colorless -> indigo]

2. Iodine and potassium permanganate staining are common for TLC. Stains heavily conjugated molecules. Toxic.

3. Curcumin from turmeric is pH sensitive. It goes from yellow to orange at ph >8.4

4. Phenolphthalein - yay. Suspected carcinogen.

There are a ton of pH sensitive dyes, I'm more interested in dyes that are easily oxidized in air or when hydrated/dehydrated change color. In presence of some media become colored, etc.

#1 is my favorite so far.

The purpose of this is to simply have a colored reminder of timing that I can put on my arm :)
GreenD
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-1-2012 at 14:17

5. Methylene blue is observed to oxidize very slowly in air, and quicker with a metal catalysts like iron. It also oxidizes carbohydrates in the presence of iron and pyrophosphate (ferro-pyrophosphate). This end product is a dark black or brown. 17% oxidation takes place on the order of 10-24 hours.
gutter_ca
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored at work!

[*] posted on 16-1-2012 at 16:45

Quote: Originally posted by GreenD  

The purpose of this is to simply have a colored reminder of timing that I can put on my arm :)

Sigh

GreenD
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-1-2012 at 19:30

Quote: Originally posted by gutter_ca  

Sigh

it isn't really, i have my reasons but unfortunately if I shared them I'd be murdered.

Please help me in surviving!
neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-1-2012 at 19:12

wow!!! murdered?? really? where are you ? in Iran??
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 19-1-2012 at 06:32

sorry please explain (that was a pauline hansen reference for anyone not living in australia ten years ago)

GreenD
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-1-2012 at 08:16

I just want a dye that is either oxidized in air and changes color or is photo-sensitive to visible light and changes color.

Look up zubbles - that is a good example.
GreenD
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-1-2012 at 11:40

Wait a minute this doesn't make sense:

For instance, an amino group conjugated to an azo group (chromophore) via, for instance, a benzene ring, will form an aminoazo chromogen. The conjugated amino auxochrome shifts the absorption band of the azo group to longer wavelengths and increases the intensity of the absorption band. However, judicious placement of a sulfonic acid group to an amino azo chromogen is not conjugated, however, the electron withdrawing effect causes a shift of absorption to longer wavelengths.

Isn't an amino group electron donating? Or are both of them electron withdrawing?

Go To Top