Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitric Acid Production - Amine oxidation (NH2)
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 15:55
Nitric Acid Production - Amine oxidation (NH2)

Dimethyldioxirane wich is made from cheap materials
acetone, sodium bicarbonate, and potassium peroxymonosulfate (commercially known as "oxone")

more doable
Sodium amide reacts violently with water to produce ammonia and sodium hydroxide and will burn in air to give oxides of sodium and nitrogen.

NaNH2 + H2O → NH3 + NaOH

2 NaNH2 + 4 O2 → Na2O2 (and sodium peroxide) + 2 NO2 + 2 H2O

preparation

Sodium amide can be prepared by the reaction of sodium with ammonia gas, but it is usually prepared by the reaction in liquid ammonia using iron(III) nitrate as a catalyst. The reaction is fastest at the boiling point of the ammonia, c. −33 °C.

using dry ice and denatured alcohol

of course this way to nitric acid is not very economical you do end up with sodium peroxide

2 Na + 2 NH3 → 2 NaNH2 + H2

[Edited on 6-1-2012 by symboom]
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 16:20

NO<sub>2</sub> is moderately in water producing nitric and nitrous acid - for efficient conversion to HNO<sub>3</sub> a tall absorption tower is generally required except when the absorption is aided by using high pressure!
And sodamide is not easily acquired, or prepared, though a new member here has offered a smallish quantity for sale recently!

P
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 19:45

....This is about the most inane proposed method that I have ever heard of to make nitric acid. Bravo. Also, what does the DMDO have to do with anything?

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 20:51

Im assuming for the oxidation of Ammonia....

Im shocked we sit here and have someone wish to discuss how to make HNO3 out of NaNH2..... We are supposed to believe that you can get Sodium Amide yet can't get Nitric acid... Wow dude... just wow.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2012 at 10:06

Quote: Originally posted by UnintentionalChaos  
....This is about the most inane proposed method that I have ever heard of to make nitric acid. Bravo. Also, what does the DMDO have to do with anything?

oops its able to oxidize amines to nitrates and nitrites

electrolysis of sodium hydroxide

but yes you right this is very uneconomical
just buying potassium nitrate or sodium nitrate is wayyy easier

i was just interested in the chemistry

and mostly the sodium peroxide which is damn expensive
to get really pure

20% if made by burning sodium in air hopefully you get close to 99% burning sodium amine in air

[Edited on 6-1-2012 by symboom]
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 03:02

Quote: Originally posted by symboom  

I can see why you might think this could be a feasible route to nitric acid. I suppose it depends on how easy it is for one to prepare sodium metal. Preparation of sufficient amounts of anhydrous NH3 might also be inconvenient.

Might I suggest another creative, but similarly inconvenient method to prepare the NH3, if you have the sodium metal to begin with?
Na + LiCl --> NaCl + Li
(the lithium product would form a molten alloy into the sodium, which has a conveniently low melting point)
6 Li + N2 --> 2 Li3N
(this reaction would be done with the lithium still dissolved in the molten sodium. nitrogen will react with Li or Mg, but not Na or K. The reasons for this are complicated and discussed elsewhere in this forum)
Li3N + 3 H2O --> 3 LiOH + NH3
(or use Mg instead of Li)

Quote: Originally posted by symboom  

As for the equation you have shown from wikipedia, I am not sure it is entirely accurate or correct. Most of the NO2 would tend to combine with the Na2O2 to form NaNO3.

White sodium amide gradually becomes yellow after exposure to air. Unlike white sodamide, after yellow sodamide has been reacted with water, there will be formation of additional gasses after some dilute acid is added, which include nitric oxide and more nitrogen. This suggests that ambient oxidation of sodium amide forms other products, possibly including sodium azide.
"An investigation of sodamide and of its reaction-products with phosphorus ...", William Phillips Winter, p21
http://books.google.com/books/about/An_investigation_of_soda...

[Edited on 7-1-2012 by AndersHoveland]
symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2012 at 17:18

hydrogen reducing NO gas
electrolysis of sodium hydroxide
hydrogen gas protects the sodium metal as it does not react with it in normal conditions

anhydrous ammonia NH4Cl and calcium hydroxide seems the best reaction solid products of course generating ammonia gas and liquifying it with dry ice and denatured alcohol forming cool bath

Go To Top