Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Isopropyl intoxication (or not?)
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 29-11-2011 at 17:53
Isopropyl intoxication (or not?)

I've been working with isopropyl alcohol over thanksgiving break and tried to make a sort of alcohol burner that acts much like a bunsen burner, but uses liquid fuel instead. I succeeded in making a sort of burner that can display the spectra of element salts very clearly, (Cu, Sr, Na etc...) and that has an essentially colourless flame. It can heat graphite to ~900C and melts aluminium quite well. It can heat steel rods to a dull red and boil water at a spectacular rate. If you want pictures, I would be glad to post them.

But just today, I left the lab dizzy and confused after working with my newly developed isopropyl burner. I figured that ventilation would not be necessary because I was dealing with small amounts in a large room (big mistake). I apparently got used to the smell of isopropyl vapour and spent an hour in a poorly ventilated room that gradually filled with alcohol vapour.

What I mean by confused, is jumbled thoughts, no focus, a hard time writing (and spelling correctly) and what should normally take 10 min suddenly takes half an hour.

I was wondering if inhaling isopropyl vapour could really affect cognition so profoundly, or if the problem lies elsewhere.

I know I made a mistake, I should have ventilated the room.

"Ja, Kalzium, das ist alles!" -Otto Loewi
Neil
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-11-2011 at 17:58

Or perhaps CO...

Do you feel drunk or stupefied? Most alcohols get you drunk-ish

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/isopropyl-alcohol-poisoning

where as monoxide

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/carbon_monoxide_poisoning/art...

IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 29-11-2011 at 21:30

I'm convinced it was CO from burning. I use Isopropyl like water all over for cleaning electronic things. I even keep spray bottles to zap roaches. Drops them faster than raid without all the poison and allergy problems. Acts more rapidly on roaches than any poison I have ever seen. They contain so little water I have actually seen them walk through a running microwave unscathed. I use 91% and I believe it sucks them dry so fast they lock up and stop.

Yet I have never had your issues with it, I have felt that way from CO.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 30-11-2011 at 05:08

I concure, defiantly sounds like CO. Improve your ventilation and all should be well. Sounds like you've rigged up a nice little burner. Can't attest to roaches, but IPA does a number on house flies. They drop like, well, flies when they buzz through a cloud of 91% IPA. Got to watch for flash fires when fly hunting with isopropyl though, lol.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.

Go To Top