Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: explosively pager
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: old jew

[*] posted on 17-9-2024 at 22:27
explosively pager

The Secret Service managed an incredible logistical operation. Inserting xy g PETN into thousands of pagers. A pager is a relatively small device, usually smaller than a cell phone. And as you know, there is very little room for any changes in any electronic device. I estimate that the HE took 90% of the battery compartment. An integral part of the charge is the detonator, the size I estimate on 10 x 4 mm. Without metal tube. The advantage of a modern Li-Po battery is that
that it is vacuum sealed. PETN inside is therefore difficult to detect as an odor trace. Furthermore, 95% of the battery's weight consists of copper and aluminum. Which makes it difficult to detect the different design by X-ray. So the battery is an ideal place to put the HE. But even so, at least 10% of the battery capacity had to be left for the pager. Even before publishing detailed information, I estimated the amount of HE used to be at least 15 grams.
Some reports state 3 grams of HE, other sources 20g of HE. According to estimates, the size of the pager is approximately 100 x 60 x 30 mm. Which is enough room for at least 10g of HE. Hole in metal table looks on at least 10g HE, measured by secondary hole in wooden table under. But rather 15 - 20g HE is more realistic.

primhole.jpg - 105kB PG3.jpg - 271kB PG2.jpg - 197kB

pag1.jpg - 110kB

[Edited on 18-9-2024 by Laboratory of Liptakov]

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite and KC primer (2024)
UndermineBriarEverglade
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-9-2024 at 08:45

yes, very clever infiltration. Apparently there was a second round of explosions, this time walkie-talkies. I have seen some speculators saying the PETN was set off by thermal shock from battery overheating, and that some owners noticed their pagers get hot and discarded them. Seems unlikely to me compared to a cap. But impressive that no devices exploded prematurely if they were bought 5 months ago, especially if they did contain a blasting cap.

I hope I'm allowed to say this here. I think this was not a targeted military attack, but a terrorist attack on civilians. If you put explosives in a phone, you can get the guy on a phone call, confirming his identity via voice and holding the explosive to his head. But there's a picture of a phone store with lots of smoke, I think these pagers were sold on the market. If you put explosives in consumer devices (that may often be bought by Hezbollah) and explode them without regard for device position or user identity, you are going to get explosions killing civilian owners, shrapnel injuries in supermarkets, little girls killed bringing their father's pager to him, etc. Which is what has been reported. I think about Life After Detonation and then of these 2800 injuries...
Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Way less sad

[*] posted on 18-9-2024 at 10:30

The fact that none of these devices were discovered, even by airport security, is extremely concerning.

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 18-9-2024 at 12:21

There were claims made on social media about how nobody uses pagers and therefore it was such a clever attack because only Hizbullah members would have a pager. I found this particularly unconvincing, because I had carried a pager for work at my last job -- it was the accepted alternative to installing some kind of spying software on my cell phone. Apparently this is also true at some hospitals in Lebanon, where, according to The Economist:
Quote:
Medics at the American University of Beirut’s hospital were told to throw away their own pagers.

Luckily, our pagers used non-rechargeable AA batteries, and I don't live anywhere near Lebanon.

Quote: Originally posted by bnull  
you can always buy new equipment but can't buy new fingers.
fx-991ex
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-9-2024 at 13:12

Am thinking exactly the same thing. If they really knew "terrorist" would get these device, why not keep them online to track them and listen what they say.
Quote: Originally posted by UndermineBriarEverglade  

I hope I'm allowed to say this here. I think this was not a targeted military attack, but a terrorist attack on civilians. If you put explosives in a phone, you can get the guy on a phone call, confirming his identity via voice and holding the explosive to his head. But there's a picture of a phone store with lots of smoke, I think these pagers were sold on the market. If you put explosives in consumer devices (that may often be bought by Hezbollah) and explode them without regard for device position or user identity, you are going to get explosions killing civilian owners, shrapnel injuries in supermarkets, little girls killed bringing their father's pager to him, etc. Which is what has been reported. I think about Life After Detonation and then of these 2800 injuries...
Precipitates
Hazard to Self

Mood: Acid hungry

[*] posted on 18-9-2024 at 19:16

Quote: Originally posted by UndermineBriarEverglade  
Which is what has been reported. I think about Life After Detonation and then of these 2800 injuries...

It's a horrific and barbaric attack.

Quote:
US and Lebanese sources told the New York Times and Reuters that Israel had planted small amounts of explosives inside the pagers which blew up on Tuesday.
An ophthalmologist at one hospital in Beirut told the BBC that at least 60% of the people he had seen had lost at least one eye, with most also losing a hand.
“Probably this is the worst day of my life as a physician. I believe the number of casualties and the type of damage that has been done is humongous," Dr Elias Warrak said.
"Unfortunately, we were not able to save a lot of eyes, and unfortunately the damage is not limited to the eyes - some of them have damage in the brain in addition to any facial damage.”

BBC news

Whilst we try to avoid accidental injuries from such dangerous chemicals, groups are purposefully using them to inflict pain and suffering.
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-9-2024 at 22:22

I have found PETN to be quite efficient in small masses. RDX appears to be even more efficient in micro application despite the common belief that PETN is lower critical diameter.

While I do l appreciate the novel use and micro application of explosives generally, In this instance the application is so indiscriminate it is degenerate and unprofessional in a military context. It is a group of people, on behalf of a nation state, detonating explosives in public areas in proximity to definite civilians, and the targets are only theoretically military targets, not positively identified military targets. It isn't possible to ascertain the location and identity of all the people in possession of so many devices at one time. Not to mention the greatly multiplied number of civilian injuries. So it is indiscriminate bombing and killing of non-uniformed combatants in a civil environment with no regard for civilians at best. Terrorism at worst.

Furthermore, I noticed (conspicuously) that the topic, it's technical explanation of "batteries", and the popularity of the topic were all produced and served to the public by a wide array of news media outlets and social media hubs simultaneously, in a manner that demonstrated an oddly intensive interest to the media, disproportionate to the event, on a topic that is frankly no more interesting or noteworthy than the explosions of plants in Russia taking place at the same time. One of which registered on the international richter scale.

I would assume from these observations, that the intensity of reporting on the topic is propaganda to make israel appear competent. The technical details are untrustworthy, because the true methods would be concealed. The explosive application isn't as incredible as the fact that so many people had devices within a supposed combatant network. If this is the case, then it's likely that next, all of hezbolla will start having their matching athletic sneakers detonate. If you can get that many devices into the hands of a network of non-uniformed combatants, then they aren't very intelligent, and have no security protocols for their incoming equipment and distribution.

In my opinion, it is more likely that hezbolla at it's funding source, is actually an israeli organization, and that is the reason that so many devices could be distributed. Regardless, it is a radical departure from traditional warfare and is certainly outside the bounds of what is considered ethical. I don't see any ethical difference between this sort of application and say, suicide bombing. Both are directed at political/military targets generally, both indiscriminately kill and injure non combatants. They are the same. They are both terrorism.

The difference is that one of the methods requires a large network and lots of funding, and nation state hosting, and the other only requires one or two people to accomplish independently. Suicide bombers can be radicalized individuals, independent from their respective states, for them to act doesnt hold their states culpable. This incident demonstrates that the israeli nation state itself is radicalized at the same level of terrorists but with access to NATO equipment and resources.

[Edited on 19-9-2024 by Hey Buddy]
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2024 at 00:29

The primary hole next to the mirror is cca 40 x 40 mm. And the secondary hole next to the hair brush is about 80x80mm in diameter. Of course, they were right under each other at the time of the explosion. The bottom plate, about 20 mm thick, was pulled out later for the photo. The top plate has a metal surface, I guess aluminum with a thickness of 1 mm. The edges at the top hole are not sharp, indicating a blast charge distance of approximately 5 - 10 mm. Which corresponds to the distance, i.e. the thickness of the plastic material of the pager. Given these clues, I estimate the weight of pressed PETN to be 7 - 10 grams. The stated 3g of PETN is too little for secondary punching of the second plate....:cool:

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite and KC primer (2024)
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-9-2024 at 09:17

Quote: Originally posted by Laboratory of Liptakov  
The primary hole next to the mirror is cca 40 x 40 mm. And the secondary hole next to the hair brush is about 80x80mm in diameter. Of course, they were right under each other at the time of the explosion. The bottom plate, about 20 mm thick, was pulled out later for the photo. The top plate has a metal surface, I guess aluminum with a thickness of 1 mm. The edges at the top hole are not sharp, indicating a blast charge distance of approximately 5 - 10 mm. Which corresponds to the distance, i.e. the thickness of the plastic material of the pager. Given these clues, I estimate the weight of pressed PETN to be 7 - 10 grams. The stated 3g of PETN is too little for secondary punching of the second plate....:cool:

Interesting observation. I saw some video of a pager detonation which appeared to only be a few gram payload, difficult to accurately measure, but it may be up to 10 g, but it seemed perhaps half of that to my eye. There were some other detonation videos I saw that were obviously in the 30+ g range.
dettoo456
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-9-2024 at 07:14

The frightening thing is though, that microdetonators nowadays exist to be small enough to even fit in wireless earbuds that are far more common in the west than pagers. And those detonators, containing maybe even a few 100 milligrams of EM, could be wirelessly initiated via RF or high frequency from something like a smartphone nearby. A blown eardrum would be the least of my worries then. And to think that these pagers were built by a country directly funded by US taxpayer dollars…

Don’t forget the USS Liberty
fx-991ex
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-9-2024 at 08:02

Quote: Originally posted by dettoo456  
The frightening thing is though, that microdetonators nowadays exist to be small enough to even fit in wireless earbuds that are far more common in the west than pagers. And those detonators, containing maybe even a few 100 milligrams of EM, could be wirelessly initiated via RF or high frequency from something like a smartphone nearby. A blown eardrum would be the least of my worries then. And to think that these pagers were built by a country directly funded by US taxpayer dollars…

Don’t forget the USS Liberty

The vestibular system is part of your ear, if you blow it up life will be fun without balance and the whole world including yourself spinning nonstop throwing you into the ground.
sarinox
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-9-2024 at 03:18

Quote: Originally posted by fx-991ex  
Am thinking exactly the same thing. If they really knew "terrorist" would get these device, why not keep them online to track them and listen what they say.

Probably secret services have listened to those devices for God knows how long!

And they might have already figured out the connections and where the HVTs (high value targets) are located! in the event of the clash; they just needed to cut off the communication lines and take their enemies by surprise!

[Edited on 25-9-2024 by sarinox]
Vomaturge
Hazard to Others

Mood: thermodynamic

[*] posted on 25-9-2024 at 16:36

Highly efficient RGTICS.

I now have a YouTube channel. So far just electronics and basic High Voltage experimentation, but I'll hopefully have some chemistry videos soon.
sarinox
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-9-2024 at 01:24

During my childhood, there were myths circulating, one of which suggested that modern technology allows for the concealment of explosives within a coin that could be remotely detonated. From a scientific perspective, can this claim be substantiated?

[Edited on 26-9-2024 by sarinox]
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-9-2024 at 08:16

No need to prove scientifically. Young men in Beirut have pockets full of such coins......:cool:

bnull
Hazard to Others

Mood: The one you're in when you don't have to pay shipping.

[*] posted on 26-9-2024 at 11:28

Quote: Originally posted by sarinox  
During my childhood, there were myths circulating, one of which suggested that modern technology allows for the concealment of explosives within a coin that could be remotely detonated. From a scientific perspective, can this claim be substantiated?

The main problem I see is density. Metals used in currency are at least 1.4 times as dense as, say, HMX or TATB. It is hard to explain a half-dollar coin (11.34 g copper/copper-nickel alloy, density about 7.16 g/cm3) that weighs just 3.5 grams (2.7 grams TATB, density about 1.9 g/cm3; 0.8 grams for detonator and outer layer), for example.

I'm glad my ancestors went West rather than East.

Quod scripsi, scripsi.

B. N. Ull

P.S.: Did you know that we have a Library?

Go To Top