Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitric Acid Problems Solved?
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 19:03
Nitric Acid Problems Solved?

Could I be the first to think of this?

When Kekule made benzene, he freezed it seperating it from water. HNO3 has a freezing point of -42 centigrade. Why couldn't we stick it in an unused freezer overnight, and decant the acid from the ice?

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 8-4-2011 at 21:58

More then likely because the HNO3 will act simular to a nitrate salt and lower the freezing point of water. As so there would be no ice to seperate on cooling.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 9-4-2011 at 07:04

We could lower the temperature of our freezer to, see if there is any way to make it near -10 centigrade, or colder.

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 9-4-2011 at 18:14

Anything dissolved in water will cause a freezing point depression. On a more complex note, nitric acid/water has a very complex phase diagram. See http://www.charis.wlc.edu/publications/symposium_spring02/ha...

If I remember how to read these right, all you can do with -10C is to bring nitric acid below 15% up to about 15% concentration by freezing out some water. If you can take such a dilute solution down to -40C or so, you can boost it up to 32% which is a eutectic, and you can't do better than that by freezing with dilute solutions. Also keep in mind that the entire filtration needs to be done at the freezing temp lest the solid melt and dilute the filtrate.

At the high end of the concentration spectrum, you can freeze the nitric acid out of solution (maybe, it looks rather complicated), it seems but that requires very low temps.

[Edited on 4-10-11 by UnintentionalChaos]

[Edited on 4-10-11 by UnintentionalChaos]

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem

Go To Top