Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitric Acid Generator (combining two processes)
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

biggrin.gif posted on 6-4-2011 at 19:47
Nitric Acid Generator (combining two processes)

Birkeland–Eyde process and Oswald process

ive created a machine that creates nitric acid
by using a V6 ignition system from a car
the spark from the 6 spark plugs in a glass jar which has air blowing in to the jar makes noticeable brown gas in 15 minutes and is lead into hydrogen peroxide with this is just an example of the Birkeland–Eyde process

my question if it kind of combined with the Oswald process
without the platinum catalysis or switch to platinum plated spark plugs
N2 and O2>NO
4 NH3 (g) + 5 O2 (g) → 4 NO (g) + 6 H2O (g)
<2 NO (g) + O2 (g) → 2 NO2>
and side reaction 4 NH3 + 6 NO → 5 N2 + 6 H2O
producing nitrogen because of this i am figuring side reaction into consideration ammonia 1 to 1 oxygen

>Using pure oxygen gas from my liquid oxygen tank<maybe improve yield> with ammonia and oxygen gas in the glass jar with continually sparking of spark plugs thus combining the two processes (Birkeland–Eyde process and the Oswald process)

Formulas
the process also produces ozone
NO + O3 → NO2 + O2
This reaction is accompanied by chemiluminescence. The NO2 can be further oxidized:
NO2 + O3 → NO3 + O2
Ozone does not react with ammonium salts but it oxidizes with ammonia to ammonium nitrate:
2 NH3 + 4 O3 → NH4NO3 + 4 O2 + H2O
recycle ammonium as in ammonium nitrate with potassium hydroxide
forming ammonia and potassium nitrate

Birkeland–Eyde process
N2 and O2>NO

Ostwald process
4 NH3 (g) + 5 O2 (g) → 4 NO (g) + 6 H2O (g)
2 NO (g) + O2 (g) → 2 NO2
and reaction side
4 NH3 + 6 NO → 5 N2 + 6 H2O

anyone with improvements or comments in this i have done a lot of research and this seem like it should work though i have not found anyone doing this

[Edited on 7-4-2011 by symboom]

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 6-4-2011 at 22:39

I can quite understand why nobody had done this before. What do you think of all the practical engineering issues you will encounter when doing this? How much energy do you want to spend? Is the recovery of ammonia from NH4NO3 and KOH really economical?

Besides all the practical issues, I also think that the reactions you mention in your post will not proceed smoothly and completely, especially when you are working in a small (home)setup. Scaling down industrial processes is extremely difficult, usually such processes only work in bulk quantities at high temperatures and long periods of contact with catalysts.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 7-4-2011 at 08:26

well economical for small scale i don't use much the idea i though of is the birkeland-Eyde my first setup process i got the idea from this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smKX36mvBiQ
i did not have a neon sigh transformer so i though of something else that arcs across a gap which spark plugs do.
and seeing that ammonia can burn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ktAaGAyLc but under certain conditions ammonia does not hold a flame as in staying lit
its only flammable under this mix in air from 15–28% a very narrow gap
while hydrogen is 4–74%
i hope to widen the gap by using pure oxygen
as oxygen in air is around 21%
which i can use my oxygen tank i use for welding which has a good regulator and i can monitor how much i think around ammonia 20% oxygen 80% i got to do experimenting with ammonia oxygen ratios
which i can blend the two gasses with a welding torch which i like for the flash back protector but hooking up to my small ammonia tank not sure how that goes together

as for as ammonia recovery from ammonium nitrate using KOH would make potassium nitrate which i can combine with sulfuric acid to make it that way but i do not think very much ammonium nitrate is formed

as in energy charging my 12v battery that is used for sparking the gap on the spark plugs back up does not take long with my solar panels

Go To Top