Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A stepper motor driver.
Tacho
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-2-2004 at 11:49
A stepper motor driver.

A stepper motor can rotate at slow speeds without the use of gears. It can be found in printers and in old floppy disk drives. It requires an electronic driver circuit.

It can be used in stirrers (to drive magnets in magnetic stirrers) , shakers, whatever needs variable, relatively low speed.

I present a circuit for a driver. It can be powered from 9 to 24V. Well, this project is better suited for those with some knowledge in electronics, but I will be glad to help anyone interested.

StepperMotor.jpg - 48kB
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 20-9-2012 at 19:13

ok I like this very much, thanks. I keep some of the better parts from e-waste I come across, and I have a few nice steppers. though I am not to entirely familiar with the connections so I have a few questions.

1) I see the variable speed notation... but how is it achieved? does it have to be set before turning on or can it be adjusted while in action?

2) is the 5 pin(4 coils n common) hook up standard? I have several and never checked to see what kind of connections they had.

3) does this work on the motor that spins hard drive platters? I seem to remember then having about that many traces to the little controller board.

[Edited on 21-9-2012 by violet sin]

Go To Top