Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Report on making praseodymium fluoride
Lion850
National Hazard

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 30-4-2020 at 01:25
Report on making praseodymium fluoride

This was a simple procedure but being that praseodymium fluoride is probably not often heard about I decided to report.

Atomistry says PrF3 is yellow, but Wikipedia (and supplier info) says green. So I decided to make some. This was my first experiment with a fluorine compound and I thus proceeded very slowly and in small steps.

The praseodymium starting point was the solution leftover from when I made Pr(NO3)3 and should have had 15g anhydrous praseodymium nitrate in solution.

Ammonium fluoride NH4F provided the F, with the reaction being a simple double displacement. I acquired the NH4F a few days ago.

6.5g of NH4F was dissolved in 20ml water, I don't think I have ever seen a salt dissolve so fast in water, by the time I completed adding the water with a squirt bottle it was already a clear solution. This should have put the NH4F in slight excess.

The NH4F solution was slowly added to the Pr(NO3)3 solution under stirring. A light green suspension immediately formed. Stirring was continued for another 10 minutes and the solution was then gravity filtered.

The remainder was a green wet paste. See photo. This was placed in a desiccator for 36 hours. After this is was bone dry, and basically kept the same color; maybe a tad lighter. It appears very much the same when viewed in sunlight or fluorescent light.

Dry powder was 10g which was a bit more then the 9.1 aimed for. I suspect there was a bit more then 15g of nitrate in the starting solution or maybe still a bit of moisture, but it did seem very dry. I decided not to grind it into powder to reduce the chances of breathing in some.

Also attached a photo of the 4 Pr compounds made recently, different shades on green.

1 Wet remainder.jpg - 1.4MB 2 Color in the sun.jpg - 1.5MB 4 Bottled.jpg - 1.3MB Pr shades of green.jpg - 2MB
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 30-4-2020 at 05:13

Nicely done. One question though: did you rinse the precipitate in the filter funnel with water a couple times? If you didn’t, there’s a good chance that your product is contaminated with some excess praeseodymium nitrate or ammonium nitrate.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Lion850
National Hazard

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 30-4-2020 at 15:57

Hi Texium yes rinsed twice in the funnel with copious amount of water. I think all the starting reagents and products apart from the PrF3 is quite soluble so hopefully the product has little contamination.

Go To Top