Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chlorate cell question : does S/S cathode oxidize ?
metalresearcher
National Hazard

Mood: Reactive

[*] posted on 1-1-2011 at 14:25
Chlorate cell question : does S/S cathode oxidize ?

I made a chlorate cell with 400ml NaCl / KCl solution and powered it with 5-6 V and 8-10 amps .
I added a tiny amount (knifetip) of K2Cr2O7 to increase efficiency.
I use a stainless steel cathode and (temporarily) a graphite rod anode which I will replace my an MMO anode which I ordered via ebay.

But after running 1 hour a brown debris (first photo) appeared in the bath, presumably Fe2O3. I checked for sure that the polarity was correct but indeed the (-) was connected to the SS spoon and the (+) to the carbon rod.

How is the Fe2O3 formed ? Attack of the SS by chlorine gas ? I have a sheet of Ti which I can also use as cathode which I plan to connect with a (pure) silver strip (copper is attacked by Cl2) . Is this a good idea ?

IMG_4405.JPG - 60kB

IMG_4406.JPG - 71kB

[Edited on 2011-1-1 by metalresearcher]
Xenoid
National Hazard

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 1-1-2011 at 15:05

The brown colouration is caused by colloidal ferric hydroxide. This is one of the drawbacks to using stainless steel. Much of the corrosion seems to occur in the headspace of the cell. This colloidal material is extremely difficult to get rid of, you can't filter it. You can ignore it or I have caused it to flocculate using alum (swimming pool floc). When it is flocculated you can let it settle or filter it out.

I am using Ti or MMO cathodes with all Ti hardware in the headspace, the cells run clear except for a little white floc. I now totally avoid SS with chlorate/perchlorate cells. Don't use SS saucepans, especially the cheap ones, to concentrate your liquors either. My wife threatened to divorce me over that :o
garage chemist
chemical wizard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-1-2011 at 17:00

Use a titanium cathode and have only titanium in the headspace. SS will corrode if it is not cathodically protected- this means that it will corrode in the headspace. Silver would also corrode.
Just connect the Ti sheet where it's not reached by the electrolyte spray.

I solved all my filtering difficulties by acquiring some kieselgur.
A 3-5mm layer of this on a Por. 3 sintered glass funnel filters all kinds of flocculent or gelatinous precipitates.
I previously had much trouble filtering off the hydrated Cr(OH)3 that was produced when I neutralized my dichromate-containing NaClO4 cell liquor after gassing with SO2 and boiling. It would instantly plug coffee filters and lab filter papers so that both gravity and suction filtration through paper were impossible. Through a layer of kieselgur, the cell liquor comes out crystal clear and the filter layer can be washed very easily. Ferric hydroxide is filtered equally well.

www.versuchschemie.de
Das aktivste deutsche Chemieforum!
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 06:16
Carbon and/or graphite cathode

I always use carbon(gouging rod) cathode and never encountered erosion although
the same is not true at the anode.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 2-1-2011 at 07:20

When i was a movie theatre projectionist apprentice nearly 30 years ago, I remember briefly working with antique carbon arc projectors (some of the very last because all had been converted to xenon lamp illumination) and I inherited a box-full of 30 cm long copper-plated solid carbon rods. When breaking off the tip, I could peel off the copper sheath and I had a nearly foot-long, 3/8" rod.

I just realised these could make excellent cathodes! I hope I haven't thown them away, haven't seen those in a long time. I imagine that carbon rods used for welding should be pretty good too?

Robert

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---

Go To Top