Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Purifying condensation-reaction products.
FrankMartin
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

mad.gif posted on 30-10-2010 at 18:46
Purifying condensation-reaction products.

As an example I want to remove the glycerine from the reaction product:

Glyceryl Cocoate + 3 (Monoethanolamine) = 3 (Coconut Monoethanolamide) + glycerine.

The reaction product in one isotropic mix, and the reaction lies to the right.

Is there an agent that when added to the product mix will dissolve in the glycerine component causing it and the glycerine to separate as one phase? I have already tried salt, borax, and soda ash. Sulfuric acid works but discolours everything. Water solutions of possible salts form annoying emulstions.

Please help.
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-10-2010 at 19:08

The fatty acid monoethanol amid is a decent detergent and somewhat of a solvent. I can't think of a common solvent system that I'm confident would do a decent job of separation, especially as the desired product has a hydroxyl group too. Perhaps aromatic or aliphatic hydrocarbon solvents, the triol glycerol will have low solubility while the long CH2 chain __may__ give enough solubility to the amide.

Possible better way to do what you want to do is transesterfy to the methyl esters which are not too difficult to separate from the glycerol then convert that to the amide by adding the ethanolamine and an acid catalyst then distilling off methanol. You'll be faced with the possibility of the hydroxyl of the ethanolamine esterfying with the fatty acid I've no idea on the relative reaction rates for the hydroxyl vs amine

Go To Top