Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  78    80
Author: Subject: Short question / quick answer - Thread
Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Way less sad

[*] posted on 20-8-2024 at 20:22

1. I’ve done this reaction before, although with ammonium nitrate instead of potassium nitrate. It’s not very exothermic and is pretty straight forward and safe. I didn’t get a very high yield though.

2. Urea nitrate can be detonated on its own, but I would suggest mixing with ammonium nitrate to make an oxygen balanced explosive. I’ve tested this mixture, and it’s cap sensitive and fairly powerful.

3. While nitrourea is said to be more powerful, I’ve heard it has poor stability. Nitroguanidine is more powerful and stable.

4. I don’t know.

5. I successfully detonated a charge of AN/UN with a diameter of 1cm.

6. Urea nitrate is very insensitive, don’t know about nitrourea.

If you’re trying to make shaped charges, pure urea nitrate is not a good choice. It has a low detonation velocity. A mixture of urea nitrate and ETN could work. You wouldn’t have to make nearly as much ETN.

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.
UndermineBriarEverglade
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-8-2024 at 10:55

Unfortunately I can't buy AN or high-% ammonia. I could produce AN from KNO3 but I'd first need to buy condensing equipment for ammonia. Path to NQ is long from where I am.

Mixing is a good idea but I think it'd take too much ETN. I calculated

• ETN 302.1 g/mol
    C4H6N4O12→(4 CO2 + 3 H2O + N2 + 3/2 O2) 3 oxygen provided per mol
  • urea nitrate 123.06 g/mol
    CH5N3O4→CO2 + N2 + 1/2 N2 + 2 H2O + H) 1/2 oxygen needed per mol
  • nitrourea 105.05324 g/mol
    H2NC(O)NH(NO2) → (H2O + CO2 + N2 + 1/2 N + H) 1/2 oxygen needed per mol
  • nitroguanidine 104.068 g/mol
    (CH4N4O2 → CO2 + 2N2 + 2 H2[O]) 2 oxygen needed per mol

So for an oxygen-balanced 100g charge:
  • 29g ETN + 71g urea nitrate
  • 32.4 ETN + 67.6g nitrourea
  • 66g ETN + 34g NQ

If my math is right a 2kg charge with ETN/UN would be 580g of ETN. Although the mix would be safe to handle I don't want to manufacture such quantities of ETN. If UN must be mixed I'd rather use a cheap oxidizer. Don't want to waste my KNO3 but I wonder what calcium sulfate would do?

I think strong confinement might be able to make working shaped charges from low VOD explosive.
Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Way less sad

[*] posted on 21-8-2024 at 12:36

ETN only produces 1 oxygen per mole, not 3.
(C4H6N4O12 > 4CO2 + 3H2O + 2N2 + 1/2O2)

I highly doubt adding any calcium sulfate to an explosive composition would increase performance - it’s far too unreactive. Even if it did manage to take part in the detonation reaction, the solid byproducts would dampen the energy significantly.

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.
UndermineBriarEverglade
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-8-2024 at 09:08

Equation contaminated by atmospheric O2! :D In that case the situation is even bleaker, 2 moles urea nitrate per 1 mole ETN to be oxygen balanced.

I grabbed off a list of pyrotechnic oxidizers, looking for easy-to-obtain chemicals. Tichapondwa 2015 uses it to replace barium sulfate in slow-burning delay compositions, which is about the opposite of an explosion. I guess a more reactive oxidizer is in order. I may need to find a fertilizer source of KNO3, stump remover is pricey.
dettoo456
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-8-2024 at 11:21

NQ is far and away the best option for mixing with ETN, as it’s very powerful on its own, insensitive, and very stable. The only issue is obtaining the right crystal morphology to select for small particle size and rounded crystal shape. Even so, UN is just too weak and finnicky IMO.

If you’re not comfortable answering, don’t feel you need to, but are you in the US? If so, pyrochemsource still offers GN cheaply (a cheaper alternative than making your own if you’re doing small scale work). Then, just dehydrate with conc H2SO4, regenerate the spent acid, and then repeat the process.

Also, a shaped charge with a cone angle <90ish degrees WILL require a high performing EM with uniform density and initiation to perform correctly. If you are considering using ETN mixes instead of pure ETN, I’d recommend just looking at EFPs - easier to produce, much more forgiving in use with weaker EMs, and performs on-par with amateur made shaped charges.

To give some ideas on how to optimize performance based on different materials and charge designs: https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA419413.pdf

[Edited on 22-8-2024 by dettoo456]

[Edited on 22-8-2024 by dettoo456]
UndermineBriarEverglade
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-8-2024 at 12:09

Thanks dettoo, I'll do more research into EFPs. Curious what determines the amount of "curve" of the parabolic? liners I see in videos.

(NH2)2CO + KNO3 + HCl -> CH5N3O4 + KCl

So what about using this KCl byproduct with bleach to make potassium chlorate, to mix with UN? (Maybe not NU, highly reactive with S traces from dehydration.) It would be oxygen balanced at 14:86 ratio. Wonder if it would be too sensitive.
 Pages:  1  ..  78    80

Go To Top