Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  75    77
Author: Subject: Pretty Pictures (2)
Axt
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-10-2024 at 17:51

Two separate photos taken in complete darkness, on right is a standard camera flash at lowest setting triggered by the sound of the shot. On left is the pellets hitting a sugar cube wall, the only light is being emitted is by triboluminescence which shows the shadow of the pellets as they strike.

tribul.jpg - 1.5MB
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

Mood: The dreaming alchemist

[*] posted on 2-10-2024 at 18:08

Quote: Originally posted by Axt  
Two separate photos taken in complete darkness, on right is a standard camera flash at lowest setting triggered by the sound of the shot. On left is the pellets hitting a sugar cube wall, the only light is being emitted is by triboluminescence which shows the shadow of the pellets as they strike.

That's a very interesting idea! I wonder if it would work to a lesser extent with water ice? I read somewhere that ice also exhibits triboluminescence. With such a strong pulse, even ice could show up. Lightning in a storm cloud is also related to ice formation.
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 3-10-2024 at 03:13

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
First go at Picric Acid.

This is why I like to visit this forum on my 65 inch smart tv! Your picnic acid looks like a magical crystal crop on some far flung planet on the edge of the universe. Reminds me, I really need to make some sodium chromate from my dichromate so I can use it for barium testing along with Epsom salts.

Fellow molecular manipulator
Morgan
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-10-2024 at 08:08

Perhaps a solid perfectly fused plate of sugar would produce a brighter or different light show over pressed cubes?
How sugar cubes are made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3M1A-B2R-8
Axt
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-10-2024 at 10:05

Quote: Originally posted by Admagistr  

That's a very interesting idea! I wonder if it would work to a lesser extent with water ice? I read somewhere that ice also exhibits triboluminescence. With such a strong pulse, even ice could show up. Lightning in a storm cloud is also related to ice formation.

Thats actually a decent idea, I hadn't even thought of ice. I wonder if doping the solution before freezing can change its effect. I did have some large chunks of ZnS that I planned to try, probably still sitting around somewhere. They are doped with something (gold?) and phosphorescent, you'd expect a change in the wavelength between phosphorescence and triboluminescence which is mostly the result of nitrogen excitation.
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 3-10-2024 at 10:53

Agitation during freeze also has a notable effect of the density and optical properties of water ice.
Might be worth a shot

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
Morgan
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-10-2024 at 09:25

Not knowing much about the topic, but would some of these larger crystals make some sparkly effects if shattered?
https://crystalverse.com/sugar-crystals/#part2
https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinteresting/comments/jqxz9c/a...
Text
Axt
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-10-2024 at 18:33

Those large crystals are actually pretty cool. I can't really predict what it would look like. Since it's photographed with an open shutter it'll capture all light that's created. Transparent crystals may just give a glowing ball or they may crack and highlight the fissures I really don't know. Pessimistic me is betting on the glowing ball though.
Morgan
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-10-2024 at 08:52

Perhaps a powdered metal additive would be another long shot to try.
"Sugars contain many electron-rich polar groups, such as aldehyde and hydroxyl groups. When sugar comes into contact with a metal conductive layer, the volatile electrons of the metal can gather at the sugar surface, which can increase the output power of a triboelectric nanogenerator (TENG)."
Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Way less sad

[*] posted on 14-10-2024 at 17:07

IMG_1293.jpeg - 1.2MB
Comet Tsuchinshan-ATLAS

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.
Metallophile
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-10-2024 at 06:29

Quote: Originally posted by Sir_Gawain  

Comet Tsuchinshan-ATLAS

Nice picture! This looks like the best one since Hyakutake. Interesting that the dust tail is in the opposite direction of the ion tail.

Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Way less sad

[*] posted on 15-10-2024 at 07:41

Quote: Originally posted by Metallophile  

Nice picture! This looks like the best one since Hyakutake. Interesting that the dust tail is in the opposite direction of the ion tail.
It is pretty spectacular; the tail spans nearly 20 degrees. I was really surprised that this photo picked up the antitail.

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

biggrin.gif posted on 15-10-2024 at 17:15
Cool crystal “trees”

This is the result of my byproduct of distilling nitric acid from potassium nitrate. It was wet slush at 7 am this morning and I was going to try to dry it with suction filtration and isopropyl alcohol rinse. But I came home to an alien landscape! Going to let it do its thing for a few days.

IMG_7392.jpeg - 483kB

Fellow molecular manipulator
 Pages:  1  ..  75    77

Go To Top