Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7
Author: Subject: Nickel aminoguanidine diperchlorate
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-10-2024 at 18:27

Thinking about it now, if one didn't accept an ionic interaction of the IPA, it would require explanation of why iNAP is a product under certain IPA ratio and heating conditions, but NAP is a product at other ratios. There is such a distinct difference between iNAP and NAP that I cant imagine IPA isn't adding to the complex.
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-10-2024 at 20:32

These are some pictures of a few hundred μg of uNAP detonating low density PETN. This isn't possible with standard NAP.

Untitled.jpg - 309kBUntitled2.jpg - 369kBUntitled3.jpg - 350kB
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-10-2024 at 00:20

Judging from the first picture of the uNAP, I would guess that your scales are playing tricks on you (some electronic scales have difficulty measuring amounts very close to zero, and will just round off digitally). That certainly looks more like ca. 5 mg than just a few hundred ug. By the way, the substance you term uNAP in these pictures look exactly like what I get with my version of the stirred precipitation method.

Many materials show markedly different properties based on the morphology and particle size. Some so much so that they appear to be completely different materials. The NAP that I make is also perfectly able to initiate PETN in amounts like these.
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2024 at 10:31

In the photo, it may look like a lot of material because that particular test had sprinkled material over a wide surface area. If the amount of material were consolidated, it appears very small. It broke apart when transferring with tweezers and powderized on the foil. I calibrate and level this scale. To the best of my knowledge, it accurately discerns 1 mg weights. Of course in sub milligram masses, it is difficult to accurately work, so I reference the perforation diameters in Al foil for comparison measurements. I've found it is difficult to achieve small diameter perforations in foil with other forms. There are limitations in the minimal diameters that can be achieved with NAP versus uNAP. I have also made batches of NAP with stirring as you suggested and in my judgement, these are different performance materials. I have stirred at 250 rpm during precipitation but the crystal size is still much larger and different in performance than ultrasonicated precipitation.

I will attempt to take some more images to hopefully better demonstrate scale. It would really be best to simply replicate it on your end to witness any difference observed first hand.

I think all three of these materials, NAP, iNAP and uNAP are distinct enough in performance and character to justify differentiation. Similarly to service lead azide, dextrinated and PVC azide. I think these NAP materials differentiate in quality even more than azide modification techniques, however.

It is my opinion that iNAP likely has complex interaction with isopropyl groups, beyond simply modifying the crystal in precipitation. That's my honest judgement to my own limitations of measurement and creative testing. I'm not married to that conclusion. It's just my best hypothesis. Anyone is welcomed to examine these materials and disprove these opinions or demonstrate any other conclusion.

There have been quite a few reproductions of these materials even outside of science madness, and they are consistently differentiated in performance across different users, using different processes, in different locations across the world. When the ideas are challenged without any measurements or proofs, it makes it difficult to take the criticism seriously. If you were experimenting with these materials, I believe it would likely influence your conclusion. It did mine.

[Edited on 19-10-2024 by Hey Buddy]
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2024 at 11:11
uNAP Common Minimum Foil Perforation Diameter Example 1

20241019_134850.jpg - 2MB 20241019_135031.jpg - 2.6MB 20241019_135142.jpg - 1.4MB
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2024 at 11:16
uNAP Common Minimum Foil Perforation Diameter Example 2

20241019_135322.jpg - 1.7MB 20241019_135408.jpg - 2.2MB 20241019_135722.jpg - 2.6MB
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2024 at 11:48

These masses are certainly less than 1 mg. If someone can detonate PETN with less than a mg of NAP or perforate a 5mm hole in Al foil, then I will reconsider my opinion on the significance of uNAP designation. iNAP will have to be analyzed by more capable chemists to determine what is going on exactly. Regardless, all three materials are different in performance and sensitivity necessitating separate designations.

20241019_143434.jpg - 1.9MB 20241019_143458.jpg - 2MB 20241019_143530.jpg - 2.6MB
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-10-2024 at 13:48

Quote:

When the ideas are challenged without any measurements or proofs, it makes it difficult to take the criticism seriously.

I am not trying to attack you or your work, I'm simply asking questions and putting forward my counterhypothesis to explain the results. I haven't been following this thread closely for the past year, but if you would reiterate your method for producing uNAP I would be happy to see if I can reproduce your results. I have tried using the search function, but the earliest mention of uNAP the engine turned up did not contain much more information than just the use of ultrasonication.

When using stirring to modify crystal size, the RPM obviously makes a large difference (the faster you go, the smaller the crystals will be). I was using somewhat more than 250 RPM (400-500 IIRC), so that may be the reason.
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7

Go To Top