Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Platinum Wire for Electrolysis
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 16-3-2015 at 04:27

Quote: Originally posted by jock88  

Try to purchase a used Pt crucible (scrap) if you can get one.

It is easy to simply place a piece of Pt (1g bullion bar) between two pieces of Titanium and place the whole lot into the cell. So long as the joints are submerged the junction seems to carry current OK.

From Woelen's bromine page I had gathered that titanium would not survive the anodic conditions, and so I had gathered that only glass and platinum should be represent in the anode in or near the solution (Carbon is attacked and produces fine particulates).

Is this not the case?

I can get Grade 2 (99%, corrosion resistant) titanium bars fairly cheaply. Since Woelen used titanium cathodes I had planned to use this for the cathodes as well. Can it be used for anodes?

[Edited on 16-3-2015 by careysub]
jock88
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-3-2015 at 14:39

Plating Pt metal group elements is not too simple. Palladium will not (IMO) stand up to making Chlorate/Perchlorate/Bromine.

When I said get a Pt crucible I meant to for cutting up, see picture.

http://oxidizing.typhoonguitars.com/chlorate/leaddiox/platin...

Ti seems to last (not corrode)close to the actual Pt material if used to hold the Pt wire or piece of bullion in the electrolyte.

See post of 15 April 2012 3:45 here:

A piece of Pt is sanwitched between two pieces of Ti and the whole lot submerged.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/1629-making-potassiu...

This works in a Perchlorate cell (believe it or not). It may not work in a 'Bromine' cell
morganbw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-3-2015 at 15:14

Quote: Originally posted by careysub  
Quote: Originally posted by jock88  

Try to purchase a used Pt crucible (scrap) if you can get one.

It is easy to simply place a piece of Pt (1g bullion bar) between two pieces of Titanium and place the whole lot into the cell. So long as the joints are submerged the junction seems to carry current OK.

From Woelen's bromine page I had gathered that titanium would not survive the anodic conditions, and so I had gathered that only glass and platinum should be represent in the anode in or near the solution (Carbon is attacked and produces fine particulates).

Is this not the case?

I can get Grade 2 (99%, corrosion resistant) titanium bars fairly cheaply. Since Woelen used titanium cathodes I had planned to use this for the cathodes as well. Can it be used for anodes?

[Edited on 16-3-2015 by careysub]

No sir, not a good anode by itself. It is a great substrate for many of the MMO coatings. It is highly chemical/electrical resistant but it by itself will form a coating that will resist electrical current. It will become passive and it will take a very large voltage to allow current to flow. NO GOOD for an anode.

[Edited on 16-3-2015 by morganbw]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top