Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Interesting source of tin
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 19:30

Tin pest is a fascinating phenomenon because it is an autocatalytic allotropic transformation, and in a pure element too! Anything that starts the conversion to alpha-tin will trigger a transformation all the way through the material.

Apparently germanium (in the metallic beta form) can can trigger it, also "pink salt" solution - (NH4)2[SnCl6].

The transformation occurs fastest at -45C (I don't know if colder than this helps or hurts or stays the same).

Some time I want to get a bar of pure tin, and a bit of germanium, and put them in contact with a block of dry ice (-74.6 C) and see what happens.

I would really like to recreate this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUoVEmHuykM

I actually plan on doing this is the not too distant future.

[Edited on 9-12-2014 by careysub]
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 19:34

Quote: Originally posted by jock88  

According to some historians one of the major reasons for the defeat of Napoleon in Russia was tin pest. The freezing temperatures caused all the button to disintegrate off the soldiers clothes and they became useless against the cold.

I don't think anyone claims this to be a major reason for the Russian Campaign going horribly, horribly wrong.

Besides, all those soldiers were conscripted farmers. I bet they had the skills to make serviceable button out of wood or bones.

[Edited on 9-12-2014 by careysub]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top